The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Is the 4 wt. loosing favor? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/61593-4-wt-loosing-favor.html)

Cool Hand Hodge 10-17-2010 11:13 PM

Is the 4 wt. loosing favor?

I am certainly a champion of the 4 weight rod, make no mistake about it. Latley though it seems that i am more and more on my own. Is this awesome rod weight loosing favor with modern fly fisherman? I originally chose it as my all around rod (trout and smallish small mouth) because everyone told me to buy a 5 weight. Being new i figured that i would get more play from the fish and general excitement with a lighter rod. I in fact did. I also learned that i could cast just about as far as a five weight with a fly just about as big, and on a 3x tippet. Do i give a bit up in a heavy wind or with a big hair fly? I guess, but i gain a good bit in finessing a small dry to picky fish. Fortunately, finding a 4 in the nine foot range isn't to hard as i do like to nymph. I still wonder why more fisherman ignore this weight. The reason i bring this up is that i ran into a fisherman on a very traveresque u.p stream brookie fishing this past summer and was kind of shocked to learn he was using a 6. When he found out i was slinging a 4, he seemed to be equally as perplexed. Am i really that far off base, or do any others agree with me?

mudbug 10-18-2010 12:48 AM

Re: Is the 4 wt. loosing favor?

In AZ a 4 wt is considered to be the best all arounder.

2 and 3 wts are for small stream and 5 and 6 wts are for bigger rivers (like lees ferry or the san juan) and lakes casting streamers.

Cool Hand Hodge 10-18-2010 01:32 AM

Honestly, i find it a great all-arounder in Michigan as well. Of course for our Salmon and Steelhead we use 7 and 8 weight rods. Otherwise, the 4 is perfect for our trout and very fun on the bass. I think one could get by very nicely in my state with only two rods...but then of course we need backups...

MoscaPescador 10-18-2010 01:48 AM

There is nothing wrong about a four weight being one's main stick. If one understands what will be delivered (as in line and fly), the presentation he wants to achieve (dry, nymph, streamer), the size of the fish that he intends to target (shaker, average, Homie), and the conditions that he will be fishing in (big water, small water, breezy, not breezy), the four weight could be the perfect tool.

Sometimes the rod choice is a regional one.

My best friend, Brian, and I are separated by 110 miles. He fishes a four weight mostly. I fish a five weight mostly. He fishes a floating line with a wide assortment of flies (dries, nymphs, small streamers). I fish a floating line, sinking lines, and sink tips weighing up to 175 grains with a wider assortment of flies (same as Brian's but including big bunnies and deer hair). Since he throws a lot of dries, he needs a softer presenting rod. Since I throw a variety of rigs, a rod with a wide presentation range is important. On Brian's waters, he has few shots at Homie. On my waters, I have more shots at Homie. Brian's waters are smaller and wind protected. Mine are larger with less wind protection.

Is the four weight losing favor? I don't think so, but in my region, the five weight has ruled for awhile.

MP

jcw355 10-18-2010 05:43 AM

I'm going to tell my son in law to get a 4wt for the places we fish. I continually use my 7'6" 3wt when I fish because I like it more than the 9' 5wt. Theres places and situations where I would be better suited using the 5wt but its about what you prefer at times.

chi flyfisher 10-18-2010 06:20 AM

Not for me. I fish the 4 wt. significantly more often for inland trout than any other rod - fishing mainly the Midwest and some PA streams. The 5 wt. only when fishing larger bugs or wind. I fish a 3 wt. on smaller streams. But the 4 wt. is my go to rod in 8 ft. and 9 ft.

ant 10-18-2010 06:54 AM

I think that it's just a matter of personal preference. I have a couple of different weight rods, depending on the location and presentation. I have a buddy that all he has is an 8wt for steelies and a 4 wt for everything else.

I honestly can't say one approach is better than the other.

creeker 10-18-2010 07:16 AM

A 4wt is a great rod to have in the quiver. There's always a situation that will call for it.

hunter1 10-18-2010 07:41 AM

I use a 4 wt for trout fishing most of the time. I use a 3wt on small streams and when the watersw flow is low, and fish are spooky. I mainly use a 5wt in winter. This way i can cast nymps , buggers and still present a dry if a hatch comes.but summer and waters high enough i use my trusty 4wt.

BigCliff 10-18-2010 08:08 AM

I love my 4wt dearly, but its ten years old, and I'm afraid of what Sage would send back if I break it. I realize it doesn't make sense to not use your favorite in order to save it, but I just can't help wanting to protect the thing.

The 3wt TFO Pro and 5wt CT have been seeing the action here lately.