• 10'

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Over 10'

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
I know that this depends a lot on the circumstances and locations that you are fishing but as an all around go to rod what length do you prefer over all others and why?

Thanks,
Terry

BigCliff

Reaction score
all around? 9ft.

I've got rods from 7-10 feet long and they all perform well in different situations. I generally will use a longer rod than average in a given situation.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Same here BigCliff... I've got most rod lengths covered. Each has there own place. I need them all. Its though to single out my single favorite rod length. I suppose that if I was forced with a gun to my head, and that's what it would take, to only have one fly rod to cover my every fishing needs... it would be a 8'6". It would be a little too long for the brushiest spring creek and a little too short for a windy day on the lake or for extreme reach nymphing. But overall it would serve me well.

The following is an excerpt from my article "The Perfect Small Stream Fly Rod"

Rod Length

My very first small stream fly rod was a 2/3 wt, 7ft rod. It was so cute. I once took a fishing trip to the Cimarron River where I booked Doc Thompson of High Country Anglers. We fished the Cita which is a private stretch of the Cimarron just bellow the Cimarron Canyon State Park entrance. This section is a classic small stream just loaded with hungry Browns. I met Doc at the trail and started to assemble my gear. He patiently watched as I assemble my 7ft rod. He then calmly said, “Why don’t you leave that rod here, we’ll take my 9ft 4wt instead”. I was bit confused and my feelings were a little hurt. I was taught that you need a short rod for small streams and this is definitely a small stream. However, I figured he was the expert on this river so I’ll take his word for it. We were soon on the bank and Doc pointed out a nice pool to cast to. After I made a few drifts, he said, “Here, let me see your rod for a minute”. He then taught me how to properly high stick. I then saw the advantages of a long rod on a small stream. Doc had me to cast out with only about 1 or 2 feet of fly line hanging out of the end my rod. He then had me lift the rod high while keeping it parallel to the ground. I was trying to keep all of the fly line and as much of the leader as I could off of the water. This was creating, of course, a perfectly drag free drift. Occasionally I was able to lift the entire leader from the water so that the only thing touching the water was my dry fly. This took a lot practice but I finally got the technique down pat and caught a lot of fish. I made very few overhead casts. I mostly flipped and rolled so the brush and trees were really not much of a problem.

Rod length is a very important consideration and, in some situations, maybe even more important than rod weight. As you can see, there is more than one school of thought regarding the proper rod length for small streams. The short rod advocates are steadfast in their beliefs. The long rod proponents are equally convinced there technique is superior. I can see that both rods have their place. This is where the character of the stream itself will help you in determining the best length for you in a given situation.

Shorter rods, 5 to 7ft, may be ideal for the tightest and brushiest of creeks. Best of all, these short rods are so cute and so sweet. On the opposite side we may find the need for that long rod. An 8’6”, a 9ft, or perhaps even longer rod may be the best choice for the meadow stream that offers little casting impediments. Maybe you’ll be high sticking to finicky trout and you need that extra reach. The Global dorbeR Group in Flippin, Arkansas now produces a 10ft 1wt fly rod blank for this type of fishing.

Don Oliver is no doubt one of the best small stream guides in the country. His fly shop and guide service is located in a small stream heaven called Durango, Colorado. With no less that eight small mountain streams within his reach, Don is a small stream and dry fly fanatic. Don says, “My favorite small stream rod is a 7 1/2 or 8 foot two or three weight”. He really enjoys his 8’ – ¾ wt Voyager Fly Rod from Stone Creek Limited. Give him a fly rod and cigar and no trout is safe all day.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I can't imagine what a 10' 1wt would feel like. I can't help but think that would be the ultimate buggy whip, but lord knows it would protect a tippet! You'd sure have to keep your hook sharp though. Seems like it would feel like driving a nail with a pool noodle. The thing would probably flex to scary shapes with a 16" fish on.

All that said, I'd love to give one a spin. I bet the rod and line would almost feel as one.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Well Cliff... I think you need to try one and then give us a report. You'll have to contact a custom rod builder though... cause that's the only way to get one now.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'll add it to the list, but it's not gonna make the top five anytime soon. Hmm, wonder how it would roll cast...

Joni

Reaction score
I truley Love the 10' rods. But I am also getting way into glass and in that case I don't think I will go much longer than an 8'6". It will whip the line out there and they set the hook for you.

tlcgpw

Reaction score
:frogdance well most of my fishing is sm. creeks, rivers
bush waking, the back country.
so 8' and under is fine,
although i have some bigger ones.
see ya Greg:cool:

xjguy07

Reaction score
i would say around 8 feet. mainly because i fish alot in ponds around here and their isnt much room for a back cast, or a need to really throw a fly more then 25 feet.

Bob Lang

Reaction score
8.5' is about all I use. Here in Oklahoma where I go it serves me well. I seldom get into areas of heavy brush and with the wind I find the shorter ones are hard to use. I have a 9', but it is so stiff I seldom pull it out any more. Some of the guys I have fished with have shorter ones and I've tried them, but they just don't feel right.

OldMan

Reaction score
I gave up on trying to have an all around rod. It just doesn't work.

So, now I use a 7' rod for small streams, and a 9' for everything else. It's a much better system.

Joni

Reaction score
Amen! You CAN make either one work, but it isn't easy, and who wants to turn a thing like ff into work (not saying there isn't work involved, but why add to it LOL)

glassroddr

Reaction score
Being into glass these days, 7.5 feet would be my ideal lenght, 8 feet max.
My graphite sticks range from 7' 9'' to 9'. Each have their place, but none are all-rounder.

axle27

Reaction score
I don't have many, but I generally use 9'-0" or the 8'-6" whenever possible. The 7'6" I got for small streams and bluegills.

Douglas Wesson

Reaction score
I live out here in the Northwest and I've found, (for me), that a 9' is a good all around length. But for my big guns, 6 & 8 wt are 9'6".

FrankB2

Reaction score
I have several rods ranging from 7.5' to 9', but the only time I never say
to myself "I wished I had something shorter/longer/lighter/heavier" is when
fishing one of my 8'6" 5wts.

catman

Reaction score
7'-9" was not on the list other than that I use a 9' for my other work

kayakangler

Reaction score
Like others here I use a variety of rod lengths. 7' for small streams and 9' for everything else. The 9' lets me cast further and mend a bit better on bigger rivers and gives me extra height when fishing from a kayak or kickboat.

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
Where I've got the room, 9' rods are my choice. I've got an 8' and a 6.5' for less room.
Since I can only vote once, mine is for 9'.

FISHN50

Reaction score
I voted 9' but I'll go to 7' on a small "hop across" stream. Most of the time a 9'er will cover all my needs.......IMHO