The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 05:49 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: How Many Will Fish During the Winter???

Last year was my first winter that I fished. It was a mixed bag of some good some bad. I hate frozen guides. I shall fish again with great vigor this winter.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 PM

joshuanoerr is on a distinguished road

I'm originally from Southern California, but now I live just outside of Atlanta. It's super cold (for me anyway) in the winter, but I still fish for a few reasons:

1. Less people on the rivers
2. Knocking ice off of your guides is super cool
3. It gives me an excuse I can use with my wife to buy $24 socks from my local fly shop

Not to mention, there is something hypnotic about fishing with snow on the ground!

I know I'm addicted
Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I think my blood thinned moving to the south. I've gone from enjoying braving shelf ice to get in the river to now enjoying a good book by a warm fire much better.
Even with the correct clothes learned from years of skiing, ice boating, ice fishing and steelheading, I hate the cold these days.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I live on the western edge of the Oregon Coast Range. Lots of winter Steelhead to be had.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'll keep fishing till I have to drill holes.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I fish in the winter but not too often. I prefer to shoot me some whitetail that time of year..

I heard a good tip for keeping your guides clear of ice, but I haven't tried it yet: get some lip balm and rub it on.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 PM

dorybreaux is on a distinguished road

I fish in the winter when I have the time. Lots of fun, really challenging.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
I heard a good tip for keeping your guides clear of ice, but I haven't tried it yet: get some lip balm and rub it on.

Been there done that, it works as long as its not too cold same as the treatments from Loon and some of the others you gotta keep putting it on throught the day. I tend to forget so I skip it all together and clear the guides after every cast.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Not me

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

This has been my rookie year getting back into fly fishing & I hope to chase some big rainbows locally this winter. Part of the Kenai River (local to me) remains open year around though the temps in winter will usually peak in the 20s. There are a few fearless folks that still fish it well below 0.