The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 08:39 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Many Will Fish During the Winter???

I'll fish for trout and Steelies until the streams freeze over. Then its off to the tying bench to daydream of being able to fish...or off to Central PA to hit spring creeks. Chiflyfisher and I hit them last winter and the temps were in the single digits.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I retired today. Who wants to do chores when it's cold? Might as well fish!
Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 PM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

I'll fish through the winter. In about 30 days I drill an eight inch hole through the frozen ice. I still use flies. I usually add a wax worm to them.
I'll give my fly rod a rest.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I had a thought on ICE fishing. The pole I have could certainly hold a fly reel (obviously I have not used it yet) Would using a fly line be crazy due to the ice cutting it? Cause a Type VII with a Chironomid or a Ooey Gooey might be a thought.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Stillwater midging? Ice is the ultimate still water. milt.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:38 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I think my blood thinned moving to the south. I've gone from enjoying braving shelf ice to get in the river to now enjoying a good book by a warm fire much better.
Even with the correct clothes learned from years of skiing, ice boating, ice fishing and steelheading, I hate the cold these days.
Phickle Phly Phisherman!

Having said I won't freeze again... in a couple of minutes I'm heading out to western NC where snow is in the forecast along with brisk breezes and all-around, general yuckiness.
The saving graces are the phish and phriends out there already waiting for me!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough

Absolutely! Why wouldn't you fish in the winter? Colorado is awesome in the winter. Just don't tell anyone.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:13 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

winter is about the only time of year I flyfish

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:00 PM

Rifleman1776 is on a distinguished road

We can have a lot of mild weather here in Arkansas during the weather. We can also have occasional "up nawth" winter weather.
I'll wait for the milder stuff.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:38 PM

eldermike is on a distinguished road

As soon as rut is over it's back to fishing.