The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default W.W. Griggs

I guess this COULD go in gear review. I just wanted to talk about the VINTAGE GLASS series. I bought the combo at Sportsmans for around $70.
It has that BAMBOO look to it, and that plus the fact it is glass interested me. But, this is faster than any glass I have ever used, even "S"
It turns out, according to Griggs it is a glass with a blend of Graphite.
Mine is the 8'6" 5/6 and the reel is adequate.
Now, a little disappointed that it wasn't 100% GLASS, till I used it. WOW! I love this rod. Not a Winston, Sage, Scott etc, and I won't compare it to them, but, I don't need to. This has got such a great feel for itself, it is flat out a BLAST to fish!

If you get a chance to check this rod out...try it!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:10 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: W.W. Griggs

What reel came with it? I'm going to pick one up and try it out. I'm very curious about this one. Also, what line are you using with it?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:27 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Joni,
Does it come in a 3 or 4wt?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Jose, the reel is ARGUS - Flight III. To be honest, the rod LOVES 6 weight, my favorite is windcutter II. On the ARGUS reel, however, I spooled up some backing and then put a bunch of 8 lb fluorocarbon. No line so to speak. I deep nymph allot and this made sense. I can now fish any depth with out trying to make a long leader. Doesn't cast worth a ****, but very cool for deep nymphing.

yatahey, just three lengths of 5/6, but MAN if they made this rod in a 3/4, I would be all over that!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:06 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Too bad.
Maybe someone should put a bug in their ear about that.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 PM

I was thinking the same thing!