The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 06:42 PM

TnTom is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Question: Using a strike indicator

Im fishing a pool that is 4-6 ft deep and the rainbow are biting under the surface for the most part. I want to try a wet fly and drift it about 3' under. If I use a 9' leader how do I control how deep the fly sinks. The strike indicator I think I'm going to use is a small foam disk punched from a "Pack". Would I attach it to the leader??? 3' from the fly?? Its relatively slow moving water, but still water.
Tom
Old 10-16-2008, 07:01 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Newbie Question: Using a strike indicator

For slow water you can put the indicator at the depth you want. For faster water you want to put the indicator further from the fly, because the fly will trail behind it.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:43 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

This might help: Fly Fishing : Techniques and Tactics of Wet Fly Fishing
Old 10-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

In general, "wet fly" fishing is not done with an indicator. It is done mostly downstream and the nerves in your hand or your eyes function as a strike indicator.

Nymphing is generally done under an indicator. Nymphs are generally weighted and thus will hang down under the indicator. In general, you should place the indicator 1.5x the water depth from the fly. The above mention of needing to position the indicator further from the fly in fast water was correct though, and its best to use indicators whose positions can be adjusted on the leader.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:13 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't ever really done much nymphing, but that's ALL I've been doing for
the last couple of months. I bought a pack of Cortland foam indicators, and
found the fish striking the indicator to be too annoying. The indicators were
only used in a lake, and I found that imparting a minute jerky motion in still
water without an indicator works fine: no fish striking the indicator, and strikes are easy to detect with the method Cliff described. The moving
water I nymph on varies so greatly in depth, that an indicator would be worthless (for me). Many of my strikes are with 2-3 seconds of the nymph
hitting the water on streams.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:52 PM

TnTom is on a distinguished road

Well thank you everyone. I'm going in the morning and will start with wet no indicator and see what happens.

Temps going down (New Jersey) and should be in the high 50's. Im from Tn and this is going to be a Winter experience.

Again good info and I really appreciate it.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Contrary to the comments, I USE a softhackle (WET FLY) and even a Royal Coachman as a nymph. Also as a wet as described, but on the Provo, I will float them under an indicator all the time. Not a traditional way to fish wets, but as I say, I treat them like NYMPHS.
Caught allot of fish using a softhackle with a BB about 8 to 10 inches up under an indicator. In fact when wet, it looks a great deal like a scud.
By pool, are you talking STILLWATER? If so, then I say try it.
As far as indicators for this type, I prefer the "POP TOPS" as the stick will stand straight up is suspended. For moving water I like the THINGAMABOBBERS, but on creeks I prefer the small styro ball with the toothpick.
I could never get those foam squeeze ones to stay together, support the fly weight, and forget trying to move them.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

Joni,

I also use wet flies as a nymph with a strike indicator.

John
Old 10-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I also use soft hackles quite often as a dropper above a Copper John. Wets make great droppers because their light weight keeps them from playing tetherball with the leader.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:08 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

We tie a soft hackle that we call "after shaft" that works great. Basically it is tied with the small feathers from a grouse with grey dubbing for the body. It is normally tied with grey or black thread, but we have made a few custom changes that seem to work better then what is called for.

John