Lightweight, short rod

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
I'd like some advice re: rod length. Here's what I plan to use this rod for. Small, tight streams. I'll be fishing western and central Pa in small feeders running into larger streams for brookies. New England as well, hopefully. I intend to get a 3 or 4 wt rod but am not sure as to what length would serve me best. I'm considering something in the 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 ft range. I read the FAQ re: rod length and understand the disadvantages of short rods in general. In the streams I wish to fish with this rod it seems the short rod will be helpful, maybe not. Also, I'm thinking a slower (medium or medium/fast) action rod may work better for me. I tend to cast better with slower rods when putting out less line. For those of you that have experience on these types of streams, what has worked well? Thanks for any advice on this.

mojo

Reaction score
I'd like some advice re: rod length. Here's what I plan to use this rod for. Small, tight streams. I'll be fishing western and central Pa in small feeders running into larger streams for brookies. New England as well, hopefully. I intend to get a 3 or 4 wt rod but am not sure as to what length would serve me best. I'm considering something in the 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 ft range. I read the FAQ re: rod length and understand the disadvantages of short rods in general. In the streams I wish to fish with this rod it seems the short rod will be helpful, maybe not. Also, I'm thinking a slower (medium or medium/fast) action rod may work better for me. I tend to cast better with slower rods when putting out less line. For those of you that have experience on these types of streams, what has worked well? Thanks for any advice on this.
My advice, sincen you asked for it is -fiberglass. Lamiglas, Diamondglass, older Fenwicks.
Have someone build one for you to your specs- 6'6" Honey Lami or 7'er
Mike at Prairie Drifter Rods | Custom Bamboo & Fiberglass rods/Catch & Release Fish Taxidermy
Or Mark -Gypsy Rod Works gypsy Profile - Yuku
That's his profile- get ahold of him there.
Both do outstanding work for a great price.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I recently got a killer deal on a Sage FLi 7' 3wt and I absolutely love it. It is semi fast and really shoots a line!

They are being discontinued from what I hear, so you can get them very cheap.

FlyDog

Reaction score
I have a Cortland Brook, 8ft. 4wt. that I just love on the Sierra streams and rivers I find myself on. A friend of mine just got a Sage Fli 7'6" in a 4 wt. on closeout and he really likes that rod.
I would say the Sage is a bit faster than the Cortland.
Let us know what you decide on.
:)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Fiberglass rods were made for the kind of fishing you describe
They take more abuse than a graphite rod ever could and load with less line out.
I have 3 small stream glass rods. One 4'9" and two 6'6"
My current favorite is a c.1961, 6'6", Wright & McGill for a 5wt. that actually fishes better with a DT3 or a WF4
These rods are still in production under the the Eagle Claw brand.
The modern ones cast best with a 6wt line, but with the slower glass action, it will seem more like a 4wt
The Eagle Claw rods are a bargain if you'd like get one to try out
Less than $20 at many department stores or on the web

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi pdq 5oh,

You see there are a lot of fishers using soft/slow action rods. I don't care for them and a very slow rod is harder to cast as is a very fast rod. You can feel a lot of things going on with the slow rod but it also requires precise timing. I prefer a medium or medium fast rod. I also think you can get too short with a rod. Many small stream fishers thinks a 6' or 6'6" rod is a good choice. I don't agree with them. With small stream fishing you usually have to roll cast a lot. The short rods do not roll cast as well as a longer rod. I think you need to pick a rod length in the 7' to 7'6" length but no shorter. The soft action rod doesn't roll cast as well as a medium fast to fast action rod. I think you would be best served with a 7'6" rod with a medium or medium fast action.

It is true that these very slow/soft action rods allows you to play big fish with light leaders. But for roll casting, mending and casting in the wind I believe a medium-fast rod is the best choice. Especially if the fisher is not very experienced. It is important to apply pressure to a big trout and some people with very slow rods don't know how to do that. They end up playing fish twice as long as it should take to land them. It is true that you can apply more pressure with a short rod. But if it is so soft that it bends to the grip, it becomes harder to land the fish and you lose the advantage of a shot rod.

Frank

OldMan

Reaction score
I also have tried the soft rod for small streams. I didn't really like it for all the reasons Frank mentioned. I'd say 90% of my fishing is small streams.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a small stream rod, but I wanted to buy from a company that would stand behind their product. I ended up with a Sage Launch 7'6' 3 wt rod. I think it's a perfect small stream rod.

Here's some pics of a private stream 100 ft from where I live. I fish it everyday and it's my getaway from the worries of the world.

jcl

Reaction score
This spring I was looking for a small stream rod, and I was thinking of getting something very short. A friend talked me into going with something at 7'6", and I've been happy. The extra foot of rod's never gotten in the way, either in hiking in or in casting in close quarters, but it has been useful for reaching my line over boulders, etc.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of small stream fishing lately and I've been carrying 3 rods..all 4wts
The afore mentioned 6'6" W&M glass (med action when underlined with the 4wt line)
A 7'6" Lamiglas (a truly slow action rod)
and a 7'6" Lochmor fast action graphite

For small streams wider than 15' the 7'6" rods shine. The slow action glass being a perfect dry fly rod. The graphite rod more of an all purpose.

The narrower, headwater, brook trout streams here in the east look nothing like the stream in Pete's pictures
There's vegetation overhanging the banks so much so that sometimes it's as if you were fishing in a tunnel.
With the 6'6" glass rod I can cast sidearm while holding the rod at my hip with the reel/rod butt behind my back, essentially reducing the rod's length by a foot if necessary
And this rod will load with 2' of line out of the tip-top
If this sounds like 'trick casting' ...it should. Because that's what's needed to do the job

Joe D

Reaction score
pdq 5oh,

I like a 7' or 7 1/2" for the kind of water you describe. Many of these waters entail some hiking, some brush busting and generally a hike of some sorts along the stream. Personally, I'd want a light outfit with a breakage warranty to cover the unexpected trip and slip. I like the Superfine rods for this fishing.

mojo

Reaction score
Hi pdq 5oh,

You see there are a lot of fishers using soft/slow action rods. I don't care for them and a very slow rod is harder to cast as is a very fast rod. You can feel a lot of things going on with the slow rod but it also requires precise timing. I prefer a medium or medium fast rod. I also think you can get too short with a rod. Many small stream fishers thinks a 6' or 6'6" rod is a good choice. I don't agree with them. With small stream fishing you usually have to roll cast a lot. The short rods do not roll cast as well as a longer rod. I think you need to pick a rod length in the 7' to 7'6" length but no shorter. The soft action rod doesn't roll cast as well as a medium fast to fast action rod. I think you would be best served with a 7'6" rod with a medium or medium fast action.

It is true that these very slow/soft action rods allows you to play big fish with light leaders. But for roll casting, mending and casting in the wind I believe a medium-fast rod is the best choice. Especially if the fisher is not very experienced. It is important to apply pressure to a big trout and some people with very slow rods don't know how to do that. They end up playing fish twice as long as it should take to land them. It is true that you can apply more pressure with a short rod. But if it is so soft that it bends to the grip, it becomes harder to land the fish and you lose the advantage of a shot rod.

Frank
Frank, I'm going to disagree with you on the roll casting and mending choice. Maybe in the wind yes. A glass rod rolls casts like a dream. And I don't believe it takes any longer to land a fish with a softer rod. A guy that's going to play a fish will play it the same amount of time whether or not it's a soft glass rod or a TCR whether or not he's a beginner or experienced fisherperson.

The other thing is, yes a faster rod is easier to cast. I've said it before, it also masks your bad habits. You learn to cast with a slower rod, you learn to correctly cast, but it is harder to learn to cast a slower rod. It's frustrating, but in the long run it makes you a better caster.
But everyone, just like in this thread has their own opinion about the rods they like.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Mojo,

No problem, I knew when I wrote that you and others would have a different opinion. But that is great. If we all liked the same thing we wouldn't have all these wonderful casting machines. I know you guys love those softies but I don't like them at all.

I will stick to my guns about an inexperience fly fisher will take longer to land a big fish with a very soft rod.

Frank

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I appreciate all the replies and good information. I AM essentially an inexperienced fly fisher, given my time on water. Luckily, I'm a fast study when I put my mind to it. A rod in the 7-7 1/2 ft range is what interests me most. I think Joe D and Rip Tide have described the streams I'm talking about. The little I've hiked up a few this fall has shown me what to expect. I think roll casting and merely flipping line will be the most used methods. A lightweight outfit will certainly be helpful as some of the hikes will be long. Whatever rod I end up with, I can't imagine not enjoying learning to use it as I intend. Thanks again everyone.

OldMan

Reaction score
I'd still use the same rod on tighter streams. Here's an example of one I fish now and then.

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
Pete, I have a couple of Sage Launch rods I like pretty well. The 7 1/2 ftr is one I'll definitely look at. The Fli rods, being on closeout, are also something of interest. A shop I know of has a 7 1/2 ft 4 wt I need to try for a great price. Thanks for your input.
BTW, Sage is a supporter of Project Healing Water. That tugs at me to buy a Sage.

OldMan

Reaction score
I think the FLi might be too fast/stiff. Try it and see if you agree.

jcl

Reaction score
think roll casting and merely flipping line will be the most used methods.
You might want to look into bow-and-arrow casting, too (I know it has another name, but that's what I learned it as). It's a little trick to shoot your line out a little bit, and I've found it useful when there's cover behind you on small water, esp. if you need to make a short cast while on land. Might come in handy on the streams you describe.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
Thought I would throw in my two cents.

I also enjoy fishing small water every now and then, and the rod that I have been using is a Cabela's 3 Forks, 3 wt., 7'6" rod. It has a medium-medium fast action and I have enjoyed it very much.

To be honest, on the streams I fish I don't have room to do a lot of real casting, it is mostly roll casting, high sticking and a technique I call "flipping".....lol. Anyway, the 7'6" length is perfect for this and the rod is cheap. I think I bought mine for 50 bucks or something like that. I would buy it again.

The Sage rods also sound like great small creek rods that would fit my style, although more expensive.

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
Does anyone think there's a difference in a 2 pc as opposed to a 4 pc rod in the short 6 1/2 - 7 1/2' rods? I haven't seen any in longer rods but, have no experience with the short rods.