The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Pontoon v. Kayak v. Float Tube (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/6362-pontoon-v-kayak-v-float-tube.html)

txbevo 10-29-2008 08:33 PM

Pontoon v. Kayak v. Float Tube

Can anyone recommend a good primer on the differences between the types of personal boats. Like what is good on small lakes or ponds versus rivers, still versus fast water, etc... It can be a website, magazine, book or post. I am trying to decide which way I want to go and I seem to come up with more questions than answers. I want something primarily for small lakes like Cleburne State Park. I live within short walking distance to Joe Pool Lake near the end where it turns into Walnut Creek. I am not looking to get out on large open water. I would also like the flexibility to float rivers as well. Thanks!

troutdoorsman 10-29-2008 10:00 PM

Re: Pontoon v. Kayak v. Float Tube

A small pontoon with a trolling motor mount works well for me on small lakes and ponds. It works well in fast moving, rocky water also because of the clearance in the middle. I use the water skeeter river guide.

ezamora 10-30-2008 01:13 AM

pontoons are built differently so you should check the class rating first. you probably shouldn't use a class I rated pontoon in 3 or 4 class rivers.

eric
fresno, ca.

Frank Whiton 10-30-2008 07:17 AM

Hi txbevo,

Take a look at this FAQ about pontoon boats. It doesn't address other boats but gives you some thoughts about choosing a pontoon.

Frank

FlyDog 10-30-2008 07:42 AM

I have a Fish Cat 4 Deluxe float tube that i have been using all summer which I really like and have no complaints with.
That being said , yesterday I had a chance to use a friends Fish Cat Streamer XL Pontoon and all I can say is that will be my next purchase and will be my water craft of choice at any location I can physically get it to.
Anyone want to buy a nice Road Racing Bycycle:)

dorian.ducker 10-30-2008 10:39 AM

I also have a Fish Cat 9 pontoon boat. I have never used it on a lake before, but have on rivers all summer and I LOVE it. Affordable and highly manuverable, (sp?), I also bought a trolling motor and battery for it, I just haven't used it yet.

BTW....if you have a Sportsmens Warehouse near you buy their brand of pontoon boat. All they are are rebranded Outcast boats and they sell them for at least 100 bucks less than Outcast's retail price!

Joe D 10-30-2008 05:20 PM

I think the pontoon will give you the most flexibility. Many are equipped with platforms so you can also stand.

Joni 10-31-2008 01:29 PM

Kayak, fast as heck through water...but no hands free fishing if there is a breeze.
Float tube, The "V" shape get you a little more out of the water, easy to back pack, packable, and fully powered by feet.
Pontoon, moves very quickly with oars, steers very easy, gets you out of the water and depending on the size of the pontoons (diameter) variable wind resistance...easy to compensate for.
More room on a Pontoon, plus three forms of movement. Flippers, Oars, and motor.
Harder to transport and store, heavier.

But, there is also the alternatives now. There is the Navigator II and the Outlaw series from NFO. They are the length of a regular pontoon, white water safe (to a degree) Lotsa storage, rowing, flipper, motor....BUT no frame so folds up small and they are not heavy.