The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 07:48 AM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road
Default How do you deal with "Microtrash?"

I was searching ebay and noted for the first time that Fishpond makes a small container for containing "microtrash", and it got me to wondering how people deal with all the little snippets of tippet and leader material that they produce during a day of fishing. Do you stuff it in your pocket or pack? I try, but it often sticks to my fingers and is hard to control and ends up in the water, especially during cool weather when my fingers are stiff. Maybe this little gizmo from Fishpond isn't such a bad idea, after all. The flexible, slotted top is designed to easily accept the monofilament. I just don't like the idea of hauling another "thing" around all day.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: How do you deal with "Microtrash?"

Hi mhclayton,

I posted a picture so others can see what you are talking about.

It is not too large but big enough to make me not want to carry it. I put all my cuttings or discarded leaders in a pocket and dispose of it at home.

I might carry something like the Microtrash if it was rectangle instead of round. If it was an inch wide and two inches long I might carry one. That is when I wear a vest. When I wear my chest pack there wouldn't be enough room for the Microtrash.

Frank

Fishpond Microtrash Container 3.2” x 1.9” dia.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:33 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road

For years I have carried a 35mm film canister with an X cut into the lid. Wrap the tippet around your finger then poke you finger through the X in the lid. When you pull your finger out the tippet stays in the canister.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:18 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

PDR: Thanks for the tip. Sounds like what Fishpond is making, but $13.00 cheaper. MC
Old 11-01-2008, 04:12 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

I like all fishponds adds. seems like everything is wet in there pics.

Anyway, i put it in a pocket on my backpack. Seems to work fine for me.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi RDRogers,

Yes, that is a neat tip. I use to do that years ago and forgot all about it. I guess that comes from not using 35MM film any more.

Frank
Old 11-01-2008, 08:42 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road

The film canister I use is at least 10 yrs old. I might I have a backup in the fishing closet. If I lose it I guess I will have to get the Fishpond thing!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:29 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

RDRogers,

Great tip. I'm going to try that.

I don't place any of the trash in my vest, because it mixes in with stuff I need, and it's a pain to handle. I end up tucking it all in my shirt or waders. When I get to the car I place it in the car and dump it all when I get home. I'm off to find an old film canister right now. I still have a few those left.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 12:09 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

great tip. I usually just stuff mine into my backpack part of my chest pack and dispose at home also.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

When wearing waders, I just stuff mono trimmings into the top of them. That way they make it off the river but don't clutter up vest/pack pockets.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.