The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 10:40 AM

doverdon is on a distinguished road
Default gear opinion

good morning to all... newbie to forum, please be gentle -
perhaps like alot of members out there, I have probably much
more gear than I really need. I have most recently spent "off time"
(when I just can't get away....) trying to better organize my flyfish
systems. In a nutshell, "short range" to "long range" fair weather to
winter solstice...
I believe I am nearly complete with my plan to "Keep It Simple Stupid"

Can I get an opinion please...
Fishpond - "Shooting Star" or Will Joseph "Exodus"
unless one can find in an "Ebay" type atmosphere" both can
be pricey with Fishpond the most expense. Neither apparently
come with a hydration pack, although not the end of the world
for the price should be included.... anyway, I have not physically seen
either of these products.

Anyone ? Please share some of your thoughts -

Thanx for your time and opinions
doverdon
Old 11-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gear opinion

Check out the Cabela's bargain cave
The Exodus is on sale

For someone that professes to want to "keep it simple" you sure must carry a lot of stuff to need something like that
Old 11-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi doverdon,

I think your choices are designed for two different purposes. The Fish Pond is a weekender design. The rear pack only has a 1343 cu capacity. The William Joseph rear pack has over trice the capacity at 3100 cu.

You need to decide what you want to do with the pack. If you are packing in and staying several days the Exodus would be my pick. If you are just packing in to fish a day or two the Shooting Star would be a good choice. I see you can get the Exodus for $99 at Cabela's and that is a good buy. I like the Shooting Star's chest pack better but that is personal preference.

If you are concerned with quality you don't have to worry. Both companies are making very good products. It just comes down to your use.

Frank
Old 11-07-2008, 09:58 AM

doverdon is on a distinguished road

thank you for your opinions.
my intentions of the added "storage" in a pack, along
with fish gear allows for the photo gear that I often tote
along.
my preferred addictions at this time in my life are flyfishing
and photography.

keep a sharp hook
dover don
Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi doverdon,

In that case I would go with the Shooting Star.

Here is another option that may work for you. The Orvis Safe Passage Angler's Backpack. It is midway between the Shooting Star and the Exdous at 2,093cu. It doesn't have a chest pack but Orvis has some small ones that would work. Looking at the picture I wonder if the rod tube might hit you in the back of the head. I would think they have that figured out. It would be a handy way to carry a rod.

Frank

Orvis Sage Passage Angler's Backpack
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Not apples to apples but I have a Filson pack vest made of waxed canvas. It will carry food, beverage, and my rain jacket if it ever gets warm here. Like I said, not apples to apples but, By God, Filson apples are made in America! I don't know where the other products are manufactured but the Filson stuff is classic. Mine is going on 13 years old and it is holding up well.