The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default korkers? how are they?

I might end up being the luckiest guy alive or the most po'd guy! I just found a pair of size 12 korkers on sierra trading post for 58 bux plus 10 shipping. well I search online for a coupon code and ended up getting them for 47 bucks with shipping for some 100 dollar boots! but like all things too good to be true. when I got my receipt it said sold out in the total price section. now I search their site and theres no more size 12. I hope I got the last pair! I wrote them and they said if it let me order they should have it in the warehouse but I got to wait for the shipping confirmation to find out if they are in stock or not! for sure! guess I got to hope and pray they have um otherwise I am paying 80 bux for the same exact boot and I really don't got the extra 40 to spend....

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:17 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: korkers? how are they?

these are a older model come to find out but still great reviews and still soles available for them.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:44 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

George,

I've got a pair of the older ones and a new pair as well in a larger size. Actually, the older pair (Korkers Konvertibles) are easier to change the soles out on. They provide a "key" with the newer ones to help in that chore, but even with the key I find it more difficult to change soles than on my older ones. I'm guessing they went with the new design because they may have had some problems with the older Korkers Konvertible soles detaching when not wanted, but I never had a problem.

One other advantage to the original Korkers Konvertibles is that you can get a carbide-studded Aquastealth sole for it, but for some reason you can't for the new model. Perhaps they're coming out with one of those new Omni soles for it instead.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:42 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I have a pair of the Guides. Actually, several people on this forum recommended Korker's, otherwise, I probably would not have tried them. I wasn't sure I wanted to take a risk and try a boot with interchangeable soles. I am glad I did, they are great boots. My last pair had felt with studs. You can get studded rubber soles with the new Guides, but I have not had any problems with the Aquastealth soles, so I have not needed to order anything with studs. They are also really comfortable. I have hiked through woods to stream access points while wearing the aquastealth (b/c I didn't want to take the time to change soles from the trail lug) and the Aquastealth has been fine. I may be wearing out the aquastealth faster, but so far, I have not noticed any problems. So far, they have survived one season in great shape (no obvious wear patterns).
Old 11-09-2008, 05:17 PM

thanks guys. had a few people say the soles popped out but seems more people have luck with them than not. I will let ya know how they are when I get um

Old 11-09-2008, 07:06 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

BlueDun,

The new Korkers I bought are the Sportsman Series Cross Current model, which retails for around $80. Your Guides seem to be the "top of the line" and the most technologically-advanced. Do you find their Boa Dial stainless steel lacing system worthwhile? It sounds to me like if it works as advertised, it could be a real help in getting the equipment on, which is a real pain (oh for the days of slip-on bootfoot hippers). Also, does that tool I referred to come with the Guide model you have as well, and in general, how easy do you find it to change out soles?

I was interested in hearing your experience with the Aquastealth soles. I have studded Aquastealth soles on my Korkers Konvertibles and I found them to be pretty much the equal of studded felt on the San Juan/NM's moss-covered boulders. The real advantage of them over the studded felt was - aside from less transmissability of Whirling Disease - that the Aquastealth would probably withstand the considerable trail walking done up there better than the studded felt. But as to the new Korkers models like your Guides and my Cross Currents, I wonder about the lack of studs in their Aquastealths; perhaps Studded Rubber soles would equate to Studded (if they had them) Aquasteath.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Do you find their Boa Dial stainless steel lacing system worthwhile? It sounds to me like if it works as advertised, it could be a real help in getting the equipment on, which is a real pain (oh for the days of slip-on bootfoot hippers).
I really like the stainless steel lacing - just pop the dial in and turn it. Somehow, it manages to evenly tighten the lacing system perfectly for me, which is amazing b/c when I tighten hiking boots, I tie boot laces in sections to get the proper tightness around different sections of my foot and ankle. The Korker's Guide system seems to find the right tightness for each part of my foot/ankle on its own. Also, I rarely have to make any adjustments once I've walked for a bit - just maybe turn the dial a tad to tighten it. With traditional laces on wading boots, I had to constantly re-tighten the laces and then make other adjustments (that was really aggravating b/c it took away from my fishing time )

Quote:
Also, does that tool I referred to come with the Guide model you have as well, and in general, how easy do you find it to change out soles?
Yes, it comes with the same tool - I think all the models use the same tool b/c the salesman at the store grabbed another one from a drawer and gave it to me as an extra without checking it.

Quote:
I was interested in hearing your experience with the Aquastealth soles.
They seem to work well. Quite frankly, I have been very surprised that they work so well without studs. I expected to have to purchase a pair of soles with studs. The only reason I didn't order them when I bought the boots was that I didn't want to take the extra time at the store. Turns out that I have not needed them. This is surprising b/c the area where I currently live has a really slick clay soil. You take your life in your hands getting down the banks into the river. Many of the rocks are covered with a slick mixture of algae and that slick clay (oh, to be back in the sand and gravel of my native Michigan!) Anyway, the Aquastealth has worked out well.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks, BlueDun, now kind of wish I'd bought the Guide model + the Dial tightening device seem really worthwhile. Oh, well, guess I have to go through these lesser boots first. Someday I'll learn that maybe it's better to buy top end if you're familiar with the product and know it works well.

Neil
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks, BlueDun, now kind of wish I'd bought the Guide model + the Dial tightening device seem really worthwhile. Oh, well, guess I have to go through these lesser boots first. Someday I'll learn that maybe it's better to buy top end if you're familiar with the product and know it works well.
Neil
Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way - it is much cheaper in the long run to study what is available and then buy the better quality gear - it usually lasts much longer and you'll be happier. (I'm sure someone will disagree, but that is how I buy gear now and I have not regretted this method.)
Old 11-11-2008, 10:01 PM

I got my 1st boots for 29 bux so I wasn't complaining! they last a year so. thats worth it in my book. I will see how these ones turn out. I get um friday.