The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 12:03 PM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road
Default Pontoon Boats

Hi All,
I am thinking of getting a pontoon for the Sierra lakes I frequent. I pretty much thought I'd get a Fish Cat Streamer XL after trying a friends but after searching the internet I got to looking at the Bucks Bag Alpine. Pretty much the same class boat and price range. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback on Bucks Bag in general or the Alpine model boat. The Bucks Bag is a foot shorter at 7', a tick wider and a little lighter which I like.
Thanks...
Old 11-09-2008, 02:49 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: Pontoon Boats

I have no experience with Bucks Bags. I do with Fish Cat/Outcast however and am very happy with them. I am very happy with my boat and also very happy with the 2 times I have had to make a phone call to them and deal with small issues. They have been great.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FlyDog,

I have a Buck's Bronco II that I have used for over 10 years. A great boat. All of Buck's products are top quality and I can highly recommend them.

The Alpine is an economy boat with powder coated steel frame. It uses low profile tubes but the bladders are vinyl. Most economy pontoons have vinyl bladders. It comes with 6' oars. I think 7' oars are a better choice. If price is important you will like the Alpine. The pontoon design is better suited for lakes.

I think that the Southfork is a better choice even though it is more money. It has a stainless steel frame and polyurethane bladders. It also comes with 6' oars. The oar position on the Southfork is adjustable. All of Buck's stainless frames are high quality with excellent welding. The pontoon design is better suited for class water.

All Buck's boats come with good valves, anchor assembly, motor mount and seats. You can expect long life if taken care of. When you order the boat you can get 7' oars for not too much more money.

Bucks Alpine
Click the image to open in full size.

Buck's Southfork
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I had the older Alpine (when they were made with Urethane bladders) and it was 6' long. I don't have it anymore as I sold it to my sister in-law. Well her hubby (my brother in-law) uses it all the time for the past 12+ years. No leaks at all, cover is still in great shape. He likes it cause it fits right in the back of his pick-up with room to spare.
I do recommend either getting the padded molded plastic seat, or buy a couple of theose hunting pads and glue them to the seat.....big difference.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:16 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

What Sierra lakes do you go to?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

I started out thinking I would just get the Fish Cat and be done with it but after checking out the Bucks Bag Alpine and South Fork(thanks Frank) I'm thinking of going with the Bucks Bag. Both models are consiberbly lighter than the Fish Cat and with a bad back, weight does make a difference.
Most of the time I would be on lakes but the Lower Yuba and the Feather River are close by so it might be nice to have something that would handle class 1 or 2 water.
Decisions Decisions

pacfancjh,
I see your in Reno so I'm sure we share a lot of the same waters. I probably get to Fuller Lake off Hwy. 20 the most as I can get from home to on the water in about an hour.