The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   John Was a Dry Fly Fisherman (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/647-john-dry-fly-fisherman.html)

Fish Bones 10-03-2005 01:32 PM

John Was a Dry Fly Fisherman

"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume...that all great fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishing and that John, the favorite, was a dry fly fisherman."

-- Norman Maclean
A River Runs Through It

easternflyfisher 10-03-2005 04:03 PM

Re: John Was a Dry Fly Fisherman

just got done watching that movie for the millionth(or so it seems) time. it never gets old.

Curtis 10-03-2005 08:49 PM

John was a fisher of men.

Fish Bones 10-03-2005 09:43 PM

Yes Curtis... we know that. This is just a subtle way to bring Christ into the picture.

BigCliff 10-04-2005 09:18 AM

I suppose Judas put pork trailers on his Buggers cast on a Zebco.

Fish Bones 10-04-2005 10:11 AM

The traitor... of all the nerve!!!

tie one on 10-24-2005 10:38 AM

I have never read that book. My youngest daughter suggested that I read it sometime soon. She said as much as I love fly fishing it would be great to read " A River runs through it".

I wonder what weight rod the disciples would have used instead of a net ?

It is very interesting to realize that Jesus picked a majority of fisherman to be his closest companions while He was here.

I am always willing to learn from the Master Fisherman.

tie one on

BigCliff 10-24-2005 02:11 PM

I bet you'll like Norman McLean's book much better than the movie. The book spends more time on fly fishing since it doesn't have to spend time on "look how pretty Brad Pitt is!".

easternflyfisher 10-24-2005 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCliff
I bet you'll like Norman McLean's book much better than the movie. The book spends more time on fly fishing since it doesn't have to spend time on "look how pretty Brad Pitt is!".

I don't think I've read the bok. I just got done with anotyher Gieracj book(Standgin in a River Waving a Stick) and I am looking for something else to pick up asnd read. This may be the book for me.

BigCliff 10-25-2005 08:10 AM

The Book is actually quite short and wouldn't take much time to read. You could probably find it at a local library. "Trout Tactics" by Joe Humphreys is another great one. The techniques are not the brand-newest out there, but it is excellent instruction on methods that are not all that commonplace.