The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 PM

flyfshndoc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Leader to Fly Line with Super Glue??

I have used the superglue connection on 5wts and smaller for several years and have not had a failure. It is true I have never caught anything larger than a 22" brown, but it presented no problems. You can construct the connection by obtaining a needle vise for a couple of bucks from some tackle supply house or a hobby shop. You can obtain a #8 or #9 crewel needle from WM or a sewing shop. Insert the point of the needle into the vise ( a tube with a chuck on the end) and use the end with the eye to insert into the fly line. Gets a little tricky with DT 2 but can be done. Run it out the side about a half inch down, you know the rest. I have had success with Krazy Glue but use Zap if I have some that hasn't dried up. This info came from the man himself, Dave Whitlock, in something he wrote that I read before he began marketing his kit. The kit probably works better. Hope this helps a little.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:21 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

C & F tool, I use it all the time at my shop for this..I also add a strike indiacater to the butt section. Check out my web site next week it will be posted on there.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I can't say for sure that he developed the method on his own, but the "ambassador" of that method of attaching a leader is Dave Whitlock. He is a big fan of using the "Zap-a-Gap" brand of superglue, and that method is often referred to as "the zap-a-gap connection" or something like that. I believe Davy Wotton is also a big fan of that method of attaching a leader.

I don't know exactly who carries that tool, but it can also be done with a sewing needle, I believe. It would work best with a slander one with a point that is more rounded than needle like so that it will stay within the core until you want it to puncture the coating. I have never tried the method myself, but I might just have to before this weekends perch jerking outing. I was thinking about doing a whipped loop, but this one is bound to be easier. I might add some neon thread over the connection to function as an indicator too.
You can use a sewing machine needle.