The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 10:51 AM

boone is on a distinguished road
Default 2 wt fly line

I'm building a 2 wt fly rod and was just wondering what kind of line people use with their 2wts. I'm looking at cortland's 444 clear creek. Any opinions?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:40 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2 wt fly line

The Clear Creek line is the sylk line with a longer tip (4') and shorter front taper. It should be a very delicate line. I'm not sure how well that long tip will turn over.

I like the Cortland peach, but it doesn't come in a 2 wt.

You might look at the Sage lines in Quiet Taper.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi boone,

Take a look at the RIO Selective Trout II fly line. It may be just what you are looking for. I think it might be more money than the 444 line. The Cortland Sylk line has had mixed reviews. It seems like a line that you love or hate. I have never used it.

Frank
Old 11-13-2008, 03:21 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

clear creek the same as the sylk but longer taper? i'm not so sure about that. the sylk line has some unique characteristics to it that i've never heard shared by any other line. at least i've never heard of any other line becoming kind of sticky, sticking to itself at times on the spool in warm weather. still, i like my sylk and have heard good things about the clear creek. and of course the peach and ST from rio.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
clear creek the same as the sylk but longer taper? i'm not so sure about that. the sylk line has some unique characteristics to it that i've never heard shared by any other line. at least i've never heard of any other line becoming kind of sticky, sticking to itself at times on the spool in warm weather. still, i like my sylk and have heard good things about the clear creek. and of course the peach and ST from rio.

eric
fresno, ca.
I don't make stuff up. Cortland told me that.

Is this your reaction to someone trying to help you?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 PM

jdub is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone View Post
I'm building a 2 wt fly rod and was just wondering what kind of line people use with their 2wts. I'm looking at cortland's 444 clear creek. Any opinions?
I use a WF 444SL line on mine, but I just checked and it looks like they don't sell it in a 2 weight any longer.

My understanding of the Clear Creek is that it's a 444 line with a longer level tip section at the front of the taper. 3' on the Clear Creek versus 6" on the regular Rocket Taper.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

Umm...Clear Creek is a thicker diameter line than Sylk, as the Sylk is designed for rods with smaller guides and the Sylk is not available in WF2F or WF1F, but thanks for the information...

I own a WF2F Clear Creek line as well as a TT2F Wulff Joan Wulff Signature line.

I recommend the JWS TT2F line highly! It floats well, and mine is a pre J3 line. I love the turnover, and if used with a 5'6" furled butt and 4ft of tippet, it turns over GREAT! Even the regular Wulff TT2F would be great!

The Clear Creek is a nice line, and is very supple, and a dark olive color (which is why I bought the orange and white TT). If you fish a lot of streamers or weighted nymphs without an indicator, you may have a hard time seeing the tip of your line like I did.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:12 PM

My memory is getting worse everyday. Maybe it's the peach that's the same as the Clear Creek except for tip and of course the color. That makes more sense since they have the same taper.

Sorry for the confusion on my part.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:52 PM

boone is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replys, keep em comin. I'd love to get as much info as possible before i spend the money on the line (i'm on a college budget). I am a bit confused at the moment though... is the clear creek "sticky"? Does it not perform well in hot weather? Being in NC that is a big concern.

I dont mind about the color i dont really do fishing that requires me to watch the tip of the fly line i'll either use an indicator or go by feel on a tighter line. Thanks for pointing that out though!
Old 11-14-2008, 03:20 AM

jdub is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
...Maybe it's the peach that's the same as the Clear Creek except for tip and of course the color. That makes more sense since they have the same taper... Sorry for the confusion on my part.
Yeah, I think you're right about the peach and Clear Creek being similar. And I know what you mean about the confusion--Cortland has so many variations of their lines now it's hard to keep them straight (no pun intended).