The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 10:57 AM

mikeo will become famous soon enough
Default The Natural Way To Fish

I'd like to try to get serious for a second or two (okay so I don't want to get too "serious" for too long!!!!!). Fly fishing for me (as with many fly fishers) is more than just about catching fish. For me it is the experience of being outside, in the midst of all that is part of Mother Nature. The rthyhm of that the natural world is evident through the flow of the water, the songs or flight of the birds, the rustle of the leaves, and even the expanding circles on the water from the dimpling of a trout rising. I become part of that world -- even if I only seem to be allowed to for a moment (although in reality, I'm very much a part of that world as all humans are) -- especially with a fly rod in hand. I've said before that the fly rod is like a wand in my hand permitting me entrance into a magical place -- that the rthyhm of the motion of casting a line out into the water is a mirror of that natural rthyhm of life. I think of fly fishing as the most natural of fishing techniques. And not just in the patterns of the flies we use or the presentations we make in an attempt to catch fish. Fly fishing allows me to become part of that natural world -- part of Mother Nature -- to blend into the environment. I worked for many years in a stressful job as a front line social worker in a major urban area, dealing with the homeless, street people, and those with addictions or mental health issues. To escape or relieve that stress, I got back out on the water with a fly rod -- after a few years of neglecting my passion for fly fishing -- only getting out occasionally instead of as often as I could -- and I rediscovered the beauty of the sport. In many ways, fly fishing "saved" me -- largely from myself as it got me back in touch with my "natural" side after spending so much time in the daily grind of the inner city. I've become more of a "trout bum" lately, spending 100 days or more on the water, and trying to develop some way to make a living from what I love to do best -- to fly fish. To do what seems to come naturally to me (and for me) -- but more than anything else to share that with others. So to me fly fishing is the "natural" way to fish. And "naturally" I want to involve others in this great lifetime activity.
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach