The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 11:35 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Best all-round 6lb mono?

It seems that 99% of the time I am using 6 lb mono,leaders for fly fishing,furled leaders for bigger fish,ultralight rods,kids rods,even baitcasting reels.
I would like to buy one large spool of quality line, what are your opinions?

thanks

flymoron
Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best all-round 6lb mono?

For many years my choice has been Maxima Ultragreen...you can trust it. Here's a review...-Mike

Monofilament Fishing Lines Review - Maxima Ultragreen fishing line
Old 10-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm on board with Mike,

I use Maxima for both level and tapered leaders and have been since it came on the market.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-27-2010, 01:49 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Yes sir UTG all the way, sometimes I'll use some Seagaur Fluro but its mostly Maxima.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I have tried Maxima a few times over the years. I always had something about it that I didn't like. I have not used Maxima Ultragreen so I don't know how it works. The problems with the other Maxima lines was its memory/stiffness and the diameter. Maxima use to claim higher breaking strengths for a given size line which was true but it was also larger in diameter than the other lines. I don't know how the latest lines from Maxima work.

The problem with buying a big spool of one type of mono is you are stuck with the features of that line. Sometimes you want a very limp line and other times you want moderate limpness or a stiff mono. For tippet material I want the most limp line I can find with no memory. For a full length leader I may want less limpness to assist with the roll over of the leader. In a different application I might want a fairly stiff mono. It is hard to find one mono for all applications. Then you are faced with the problem with the mono aging. If you get too large of a roll it will age over time and may become brittle or loose strength.

If I was going to buy mono in a bulk spool I would look for the one that made the best leaders. Then I would buy tippet material separately. Your particular types of fishing may influence your choice.

Frank
Old 10-27-2010, 04:40 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default More than a bit of truth in Frank's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I have tried Maxima a few times over the years. I always had something about it that I didn't like. I have not used Maxima Ultragreen so I don't know how it works. The problems with the other Maxima lines was its memory/stiffness and the diameter. Maxima use to claim higher breaking strengths for a given size line which was true but it was also larger in diameter than the other lines. I don't know how the latest lines from Maxima work.

The problem with buying a big spool of one type of mono is you are stuck with the features of that line. Sometimes you want a very limp line and other times you want moderate limpness or a stiff mono. For tippet material I want the most limp line I can find with no memory. For a full length leader I may want less limpness to assist with the roll over of the leader. In a different application I might want a fairly stiff mono. It is hard to find one mono for all applications. Then you are faced with the problem with the mono aging. If you get too large of a roll it will age over time and may become brittle or loose strength.

If I was going to buy mono in a bulk spool I would look for the one that made the best leaders. Then I would buy tippet material separately. Your particular types of fishing may influence your choice.

Frank
Max'ies always 'over rated' vis a vis braking strength. Want '6?' buy 4 or 5. Less diameter, works a treat and more on point. As a 'leader/main line,' this stuff is 'bullet proof.'

Just my .02 cents.
fae
Old 10-27-2010, 06:28 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I like and use P Line. Straight flouro. Not flourocarbon coated.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:15 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I used to use that brown colored Maxima instead of the clear. The brown was very limp and had a lot of stretch. You could also straighten it out real easy just by stretching it.

Like Mojo, I just used fluoro now.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-28-2010, 12:02 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More than a bit of truth in Frank's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Max'ies always 'over rated' vis a vis braking strength. Want '6?' buy 4 or 5. Less diameter, works a treat and more on point. As a 'leader/main line,' this stuff is 'bullet proof.'

Just my .02 cents.
fae
What Fred said!

That reminds me, I need more four pound.

MP