The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 06:37 PM

Leahcim is on a distinguished road
Default indicators or bobbers?

I think we need to educate the wormers that they are really using an indicator. Well, since we're out numbered, maybe we're using bobbers........ Don't get me wrong, I have a cuz in Jersey who tips his flies with a little worm like his 100% Irish uncle taught him.
Short story; Started FF at 20+- my college memory, 1st rod,used Fenwick 7' for5 used, still love it. My wife gave birth to 4 sons, two yrs apart, I had kids in pampers reeling in fish on the Elk River with spinning outfits using worms. By now the movie "The River Runs Through It" opens. Now I am getting dudes with apparently major bucks who have no idea how to cast in designer stuff. Now, I'm looked at like a lower class, so take it easy on fellow bobber fishers. Mike
Old 11-14-2008, 08:18 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: indicators or bobbers?

It's hard to say you're not using a bobber when it's called a Thingmabobber.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have a very tiny RED and WHITE Bobber, you know the ones with the little hook thingy on the top that you push the bottom to get it out. It is about the size of a dime. I have really thought of using it just for kicks.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Joni,
I know you like to deep water nymph with an indicator, can you explain to me how you rig your leader?

When fishing deep(like 20')do you use a slipbobber of some kind? I don't understand how the indicator does not get in the way when trying to get fish to the net with this long of a leader.

Sorry don't mean to jack the thread, I've been wanting to ask Joni about this, and it just seemed like a good time.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I have a very tiny RED and WHITE Bobber, you know the ones with the little hook thingy on the top that you push the bottom to get it out. It is about the size of a dime. I have really thought of using it just for kicks.
Been there, done that
I use to carry a couple of those in my saltwater gear for dead drifting shrimp and mini-crab flies.
They don't cast well with the fly rod
Old 11-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Joni,
I know you like to deep water nymph with an indicator, can you explain to me how you rig your leader?

When fishing deep(like 20')do you use a slipbobber of some kind? I don't understand how the indicator does not get in the way when trying to get fish to the net with this long of a leader.

Sorry don't mean to jack the thread, I've been wanting to ask Joni about this, and it just seemed like a good time.

I do use a slip indicator. I tried the old get it close then put the indicator, but when fishing BARBLESS HOOKS as I do, I lost allot.
I buy mine from "The Fly Desk" and Dennis Brakke. They are a styrofoam egg in a bunch of different sizes and color, and a little black peg.
You thread the peg then the egg on your leader, when you get to desired length, you form a small loop in the leader between the peg and the egg and insert peg. When a fish hits, it pulls the loop straight and the whole set-up slides.
You do have to experiment on how far you insert the peg, but even if you put it in too tight, a tug on the fish (which helps set the hook, and it will come free.

They are tricky to cast however, you just need to experiment. BUT, I use different indicators on the rivers, so on stillwater and with LONG!! leaders, they are killer

Click the image to open in full size.

If you can make it to Jimmy's this Saturday morning, I will bring some to show you.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:58 PM

doc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I do use a slip indicator. I tried the old get it close then put the indicator, but when fishing BARBLESS HOOKS as I do, I lost allot.
I buy mine from "The Fly Desk" and Dennis Brakke. They are a styrofoam egg in a bunch of different sizes and color, and a little black peg.
You thread the peg then the egg on your leader, when you get to desired length, you form a small loop in the leader between the peg and the egg and insert peg. When a fish hits, it pulls the loop straight and the whole set-up slides.
You do have to experiment on how far you insert the peg, but even if you put it in too tight, a tug on the fish (which helps set the hook, and it will come free.

They are tricky to cast however, you just need to experiment. BUT, I use different indicators on the rivers, so on stillwater and with LONG!! leaders, they are killer.
When ever I fish with Phil, I always bug him about how much these indicators suck as Phil has his own brand called 'Phil Rowley's Quick Release Indicators' that look the same as the ones Joni posted. I'm just joking with him of course as they actually do work awesome. Joni is right though, you have to get that pin in just right. If you don't push them in hard enough they'll release when you're casting and if you push them in to hard, they don't release when you get a hook up. If the trout is big enough though, they will release with a good hook set but if the trout is on the smaller side and you pushed the pin in to hard, with 20ft of leader you'll have to pop the indicator yourself.

Another buddy of mine has come up with his own design for a quick release indicator using yarn as he prefers it over the styrofoam.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a link if you wanna see how it's made. I'm just not a big yarn fan so I'll stick to the styrofoam indicators.
Split-cane fly rods handmade by Don Andersen

Cheers,
Doc
Old 11-17-2008, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Joni, that helps immensly. I doubt I will be @ Jimmys' Saturday, but I bet Dorian will.

Doc, thanks also for that link, I may try that too.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*