The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 09:56 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Bamboo rod repair

I might be coming into an older South Bend bamboo rod soon.

Can anyone recommend somebody who repairs/restores bamboo rods that won't make my thin wallet scream?

Much less the wife....
Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Bamboo rod repair

What type repair do you need? If it is a restoration project, how handy are you? I learned restoration in the eighties and it is not as bad as it may seem. If you're not looking at new cork & reel seat, if you're just going to refinish it you may enjoy the project. It's going to be a long winter.

There are books out there on restoring cane rods and hey, if I can do it you probably can too. I almost forgot, share the love, give rep points if the info helps at all. Good Luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:38 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

You can probably get help here:

The Classic Fly Rod Forum - Message Board - Yuku

Randy
Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

axle,
None of it is terribly "demanding", IF you're willing to take your time, and learn as you go. Check out all the web sites. Get a good book. Ask lots of questions. And practice, practice, practice BEFORE you put on the finish! Not much expense involved, and your wife will appreciate your involvement in the project, rather than paying someone else to do it. Great winter project, but do expect further travel to the dark side, once you've tried it!
Auntie Em
Old 11-19-2008, 10:38 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Thanx for the replies. The problem I really have is time. With four kids, my time is at a premium these days.

I don't have the rod yet, but it will probably end up with me as I'm the only person (besides my wife's brother) who knows it even exists. My wife's late grandfather was a fishing fool. He's got everything you can imagine. I found it years ago when they were attempting to go through his stuff (never finished). I've expressed interest, but since I'm not family, I didn't press the issue. It would seem that all of the siblings have to agree before I can get it. I believe it has two tip sections, one of which is broken.

My wife's brother is not interested because his grandfather gave him a Wright McGill Granger fly rod that he still uses to this day. It's a wonderful rod as I've seen it in person. I'd love to cast it, but he lives in SC and I see him only twice a year.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

One nice thing to know ... lots of time, on a straight line, is NOT needed. Everything can be done in short segments. There is nothing that says you can't take all winter, or two winters, to finish. (not to think that it will ... ) The finished product, when ever it gets finished, will be a source of pride, and a continuance of family history.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
One nice thing to know ... lots of time, on a straight line, is NOT needed. Everything can be done in short segments. There is nothing that says you can't take all winter, or two winters, to finish. (not to think that it will ... ) The finished product, when ever it gets finished, will be a source of pride, and a continuance of family history.
She's right you know, I took forever to do my first one. I still have it and am very proud of it. It was easy, I took my time and it came out great. I like Auntie Em's thinking.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 PM

Well, thank you! Hope I can be of service in the future.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Like others have said, doing the work yourself is satisfying and cheaper.
Even a major repair like a delamination is fairly easy to deal with.
If you really would rather not though, I suggest you talk to someone at your favorite fly shop.
They can recommend someone local to help you out.
There's plenty of people around that do this sort of thing
Old 11-20-2008, 04:57 PM

vaflyguy is on a distinguished road

As you know by now axel I live just down the road from you. I have built and keep building rods. But I'd be afraid to do boo. The guy who owned the Thorton River Fly shop in Sperryville, he did boo rods, try finding him.