The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 08:07 AM

Ken6645 is on a distinguished road
Default fly rod costs seem overpriced to me

I have a lot of conventional r&r combo's ranging from mid 60$ range to over 300$. A custom made rod that I paid 275$ for is what made me decide to start building my own. Its pretty to look at but about the same quality as a 60$ store bought rod. Since I just took up FF I've been noticing the cost of new fly rods and I can't see where any FF rod is worth 750$ or even 250$ for that matter. I also can not tell you if the rod I just finished is worth the money I paid for the blank and components because I don't have enough knowledge or experience to compare it to. I don't know what a truly good fly rod would feel like . Someone care to educate me about why the fly rods cost so much more than conventional rods??
TIA
Ken
so many questions-so little time
Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: fly rod costs seem overpriced to me

Don't get into bamboo. You'll start to think a $1000 is a bargain.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:26 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I own several top-of-the-line rods. Last year I lost one, so I replaced it with a rod that costs about $300. Frankly, I don't feel that much, if any, of a casting difference.

I remember when I was on the Beaverkill and an angler wanted to try my new premium rod. I tried his middle-of-the-line rod, and I was surprised at how
beautifully it cast.

Sure the more expensive rods look better and are probably slightly lighter, but from now on I'll never buy another top-of-the-line rod.

Randy
Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Supposedly fly rods are pricier because there's a smaller market for them and the costs are higher for research and development.
Fortunately, if you're not someone who needs to have the latest and greatest, there's a lot of 'trickle down technology'
Rod technology that was high priced, cutting edge stuff only a few years ago now produces entry level gear.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM

TXfly is on a distinguished road

Ken,

I started out with a cheap "Martin" combo set to learn how to cast with, and then decided to upgrade to some nicer equipment. I spent about $300 on the rod and the difference was amazing. the rod felt alot smoother, and was much lighter.

I compared it to my friends sage rod and didnt notice a HUGE difference in weight, but it was slightly lighter than mine. It just really comes down to what you're comfortable spending on a rod and what works well for you.

I love my setup that I have right now, but that's just me. One of my friends has been fly-fishing for 5 or 6 years and is still pretty terrible at basic casting techniques.... still has a brand new sage rod and a sweet reel.... he thinks the more he never works on his technique because "having the most expensive rod out of all of our friends will make him the best fly-fisherman."

If you dont feel the need to spend more than $100 on a rod, then more power to ya! as long as you get out and fish is what I think the most important thing...
Old 11-21-2008, 09:37 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I agree with Riptide & randy.

Rods might be lighter and the components might be of higher grade, I think the real test of company, besides a good product, is how they stand behind it.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:37 AM

TXfly is on a distinguished road

Just a side note.... I vote Rip Tide for the coolest signature of the year haha
Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

When I was using graphite I liked and felt a difference in high end rods. I wasn't silly enough to buy them new though. I would buy them used for what mid range rods cost, and then get my money back when I sold them.

I never worried about a warranty. In 60 years of fishing, i've never broke a rod.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
I never worried about a warranty. In 60 years of fishing, i've never broke a rod.
I've broken lots of rods in my time, but I agree with OM about the warranty.
When you get a warrantied rod, the cost of a replacement is factored in, so you're paying at least half again what the rod is actually worth.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:23 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

For many years I fished mid to top range rods from companies like cabelas, sy croix, and some of the others that a top end rod was a couple hundrad at most, the last couple years I have started fishing winston and sage, I liked the mid range rods of the cheaper companies then I like the low end rods from the BIG BOYS, or as well. I guess what I am getting at is I belive I start buying the lower price rods, they may not be as pretty as thye others and come with the hype of owning a name on your rod like sage or g. lomies, but if you watch your action and dont go to cheap I think you'll get just as good of a rod for 100 as you can 400.
Bear