The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 11:43 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Any good books

Do you guys have any recommendations on which fly fishing books to buy?
I've done a lot of research and there are just soooo many I'm confused.
I'd like ones that would cover "casting"; "managing line while landing a trout"; "good start on basic flies to fill first fly boxes". Also like to look into a good fly tying book. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any good books

Hi Jimmie, welcome to the forum and to a great sport.

A great starter book is the "Curtis Creek Manifesto", it is loaded with information that will get you going in the right direction. In appearance it is a rather simplistic(Cartoonish, if you will)looking book, but please don't let that cause you to shy away.
Many, many people have started their Flyfishing journey with it, and highly recommend this little gem of a book.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-22-2008, 02:23 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Hi,
A very 'readable' and informative book on starting a fly box would be John Gierich's "Good Flies". He cuts to the quick on when and why; gives pattern recipes and does his usual excellent job of storytelling in between.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:04 PM

shorthike is on a distinguished road

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, but I couldn't resist the topic.

The best book I've found on flies for the first fly box would be "Essential Trout Flies" by Dave Hughes, (assuming you are fishing for trout). Dave does a great job of explaining the basics on starting your fly collection, how to tie them, and how & when to fish them.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone. You have given me a good start. I'll defineitly look for those (got them written down) and any others you consider good. Appreciate it a lot.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:46 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I suggest these two books to everyone, I have done it on here before and I will do it again!

They are both by Dave Hughes and are both EXCELLENT!!!

"Trout Rigs and Methods" covers gear, fishing, casting, rigs, etc.

"Handbook of Hatches" covers both bugs and flies.

Both are great resources for a fly fisher of any level, but very approachable for the beginner.

You will not be dsapointed!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
I suggest these two books to everyone, I have done it on here before and I will do it again!

They are both by Dave Hughes and are both EXCELLENT!!!

"Trout Rigs and Methods" covers gear, fishing, casting, rigs, etc.

"Handbook of Hatches" covers both bugs and flies.

Both are great resources for a fly fisher of any level, but very approachable for the beginner.

You will not be dsapointed!
Thanks Dorian. I just got "Trout Rigs and Methods" locally. Looks like the rest I'll have to get online.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Do you guys have any recommendations on which fly fishing books to buy?
I've done a lot of research and there are just soooo many I'm confused.
I'd like ones that would cover "casting"; "managing line while landing a trout"; "good start on basic flies to fill first fly boxes". Also like to look into a good fly tying book. Thanks everyone.
Jimmie,

Look for Fly Fishing by Tom McNally, you will not be disappointed. You are correct there are many books out there, the one I recommend is rather an old publication but what isn't there you don't need. Try it you'll like it. Old school for the new millennium.

Ard
Old 11-24-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Jimmie,

Look for Fly Fishing by Tom McNally, you will not be disappointed. You are correct there are many books out there, the one I recommend is rather an old publication but what isn't there you don't need. Try it you'll like it. Old school for the new millennium.

Ard

Thanks Ard. Will do. Already got it written on the list. Really appreciate it.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Trout by Ray Bergman
In the Ring of the Rise... Vincent Marinaro
The Trout and the Fly....Brain Clarke and John Goddard