The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Prams

In my search for a personal watercraft I read about prams in one of my fly fishing books. I did not know what a pram was so I looked it up. It is basically a small personal 1 or 2 man fishing boat. It can be rowed or used with a small electric or gas motor. To me it looks like an ideal personal fishing watercraft that combines the best options of the other forms of personal fishing craft out there. The problem I have found is that all the manufacturers and dealers seem to be in the Pacific northwest. I understand that the lakes and such are different there, but why don't we see prams here in Texas? I would love to see one in person. Also the cost of buying one jumps substantially due to the addition of shipping costs. Does anyone here have any experience with prams? If so, what are your thoughts? Is there anywhere in Texas or Oklahoma that you can find prams?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prams

I think the reason you don't see to many prams around these days is the popularity of the poonton boat. Have you considered an ****?

Larry
Old 11-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi texbevo,

They would not be my choice for a boat in Texas but why not build your own. Pretty straight forward if you are handy with your hands. You can get plans and kits to build a pram. Try here for Pram plans/kits or do a search and you will find a bunch.

Frank

Payson Elegant Punt
Click the image to open in full size.

Clark Pram Kit
Old 11-26-2008, 11:09 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies. Frank, your statement is what I don't understand. Why are prams not a desirable option in Texas? I understand not using them on big wide open lakes, but I am interested in small bodies of water and no wake type of lakes. Why are pontoons more preferable than prams? Pontoons to me are the last on the list of available options. I want something that has stability and the ability to stand and sight cast. I don't want to have to sit the entire time. I also don't necessarily want my legs to dangle in the water. In Texas that seems less desirable to me because of snakes, etc... In my readings it seems that most people go through pontoons and kayaks first and then try prams. However, from what I have read once they go with prams they would never return to poons or yaks. I know everyone has a preference and I was just wondering why folks don't consider prams.