The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 04:22 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default storing fly line and reel for winter

hey guys, how do you store you fly line and reel for winter. do you keep your fly line on your reel or take it off. do you condition your lines and with what.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: storing fly line and reel for winter

Hi Eagle,

I used to take mine off before I had a whole bunch of them, if you live in the lower 48 and near a spring creek why store anything?

I now leave mine on the reels. If they are dirty you can clean them with Cortland or a similar line paste and pad set up. I guess you could get carried away with the cleaning thing but if it isn't really dirty I wouldn't worry about it. If you leave it on the reel just un-spool it in the spring and pull it through your hands to stretch it out, this seems to take out most of the coils.

This is just my way of dealing with the line issue perhaps someone else can offer better advise, until then it'll keep just fine on the reel.

Ard
Old 11-26-2008, 07:00 PM

Cayn is on a distinguished road

I used to strip the line off the reel and wrap it around coffee cans. I guess that worked, I'm sure that worked. Then I got lazy and stopped removing the line for the season and the line still works just fine for about seven seasons. That's my regiment, replace line after seven seasons. Cast the heck out of it to stretch out the coils and at the same time you'll get to warm up your casting arm.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:11 PM

sauzee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayn View Post
I used to strip the line off the reel and wrap it around coffee cans. I guess that worked, I'm sure that worked. Then I got lazy and stopped removing the line for the season and the line still works just fine for about seven seasons. That's my regiment, replace line after seven seasons. Cast the heck out of it to stretch out the coils and at the same time you'll get to warm up your casting arm.
Friend of mine uses the coffee can method every season. He swears by it, although Ive never bothered to try it myself (down to laziness as well I suppose).
Old 11-27-2008, 03:02 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i don't bother cleaning and going through the paces of insuring "proper" storage of fly line through the off season (though i clean when i notice it's dirty or suffering in performance, sinking, etc). part laziness, part availability of all-year fishing opportunities. maybe the modern design of the lines <i>> use aren't prone to memory coiling as much as others. i can't recall the last time i've gone through the paces of stretching line once fished after a long dry spell.

but i will offer an alternative to the coffee can route. these years i buy my coffee in bean form and haven't seen a coffee can up close in ages. but in these modern years, i DO have DVD/CD storage containers and use them for storing line i've accumulated through buying spare spools or reels. a small piece of masking tape on the end to close and a hand written label of the weight for the line.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:39 PM

smith950 is on a distinguished road

I'm with Eric. There are very few months I don't fish. I guess July and August are my slow months. The weathers to hot.

I do clean my line every 3-4 fishing trips or when the line gets dirty. But haven't ever stretched the line out after its been spooled along time. I just grab the extra spool slap it and and go fishin.

Scott