The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 04:41 PM

mikeo will become famous soon enough
Default Suffer from FFW (Fly Fishing Withdrawal): What To Do???

Except for the hardy few of us who go after steelhead through the winter months, or those who can afford to fly fish in some exotic destination further south (be it in the southern States or in Argentia or even New Zealand chasing trout, or going after tarpon or bonefish in the Caribbean), there are many fly fishers who find themselves with too much time on their hands, especially here in Canada. Once the snow flies they hibernate until the opening day of trout season (April 25th next year in Ontario -- already on my calendar). But there is so much more that can be done. There are all sorts of great books on fly fishing, as well as DVDs. One can learn how to tie flies, or if very gung-ho even try building a rod. There are fly fishing clubs that meet during the winter months, usually twice a month. These are great places to meet other fly fishers and learn how to tie flies. The local fly shop has the newest equipment in by the beginning of the year -- one could flex a fly rod or two in anticipation of the next purchase, even try on new waders or fishing vests. Or buy fly tying materials after taking a fly tying course from the shop. The fly fishing shows and forums are another good way to scratch the fly fishing itch -- there are usually well-known authorities on all things to do with fly fishing present. One can start to plan for the coming year's trips, going over maps. The Internet has a multitude of possibilities, including the various fly fishing forums, or even fly tying forums. Not to mention blogs to feed the fly fishing habit almost daily. These are just some suggestions. So, unless you have taken to standing in your bathtub with your waders on holding onto your fly rod, with the water running so as to sound like a rushing river, then there is still hope for you. Now you'll have to excuse me -- I've got to practise my casting -- almost got that rubber ducky the last time. You know if I close my eyes it really does almost seem like I'm wading the river. Except for all the soap suds (multi-tasking whenever I can, don't you know!!!!).
Tight Lines,
Mike
(really wishing I was out on the water)
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 11-29-2008, 04:46 PM

Treecatcher2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suffer from FFW (Fly Fishing Withdrawal): What To Do???

I just buy one lotto ticket and dream of winning so that I can be one of those bound for the exotic locations, south in the winter and Canada in the summer!
Old 11-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Mike,
You need a woman to help with those months of "Cabin Fever"!!

Winter time is also a great time to some maintenence on your equipment, clean up the fly tying bench so you can get it all messy again, reorganize your tying materials, learning to dye and bleach different materials.

Here's another idea also, how about trying your hand at some writing?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 11-30-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Mike,
You need a woman to help with those months of "Cabin Fever"!!

Winter time is also a great time to some maintenence on your equipment, clean up the fly tying bench so you can get it all messy again, reorganize your tying materials, learning to dye and bleach different materials.

Here's another idea also, how about trying your hand at some writing?
Writing --- I hadn't thought of that one!!!! But let's not get into anything about me having "cabin fever" (or needing a woman) -- I'm still out fishing -- little bit of ice in the river never hurt anybody -- I'm already set for tying flies -- like the idea of messing my bench up so I can clean it up just to mess it up again (that'll kill some time)
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 11-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Good Whiskey could take up a couple nights also. lol

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 11-30-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Good Whiskey could take up a couple nights also. lol
Single Malt??? Irish or Scotch???? Doesn't really matter now you're talking!!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Usually I like Glenlivet, or some good Bourbon. Just recently enjoyed some fine Irish Whiskey by the name of Jameson, don't know how I've missed that all these years. lol

Now I've gone and made myself thirsty, I'll be right back.