The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 01:38 PM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about
Default Deer Hair .. skin / hide .. buy or DIYS

How do all ...

Have a buddy that is an avid deer hunter .. BIG TIME .. and other critters too.

If he bags (of which I have no doubt he will) a deer this year .. is it worth the time and trouble to do what ever you have to do ( read.. no clue ) to the hide to have a life time supply of deer hair ... or should I wimp out and just buy as needed?

If it's a do it yourself project .. how do ya do that ?

OR .. just ask for the tail thingy

Gordon in NC
Old 11-01-2010, 02:17 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: Deer Hair .. skin / hide .. buy or DIYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon in nc View Post
How do all ...

Have a buddy that is an avid deer hunter .. BIG TIME .. and other critters too.

If he bags (of which I have no doubt he will) a deer this year .. is it worth the time and trouble to do what ever you have to do ( read.. no clue ) to the hide to have a life time supply of deer hair ... or should I wimp out and just buy as needed?

If it's a do it yourself project .. how do ya do that ?

OR .. just ask for the tail thingy

Gordon in NC
hi Gordon
It is not too good to have realy much of any fly tying material.Deer hair,and other natural stuff,and when it stay lot of time it gets stiff and no good...
So since you have friend that hunts it is better to ask him for piece of deer skin every year...
Old 11-01-2010, 06:39 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

A taxidermist buddy of mine who was moving his shop once offered me a bunch of bucktails and some other stuff. There must have been a hundred filthy stinky bucktails in that box, so I threw them all in the washer with some soap.

I wound up with deer hair stew so thick the water wouldn't drain out.

So, whatever you decide, don't for the "quick" cleaning method.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Gordon,

I would opt for a couple nice patches of body hair (say about 4"X4") and a couple from the back of the neck where it is longer (think muddler here) patches this size will be easy to cure and store. If he gets one every year you can do the same next season if you need more.

The tail is a no brainer

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-02-2010, 11:45 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

My vote would be to buy. Last year my buddy got an Elk. I asked for some hair/hide. When I saw what I faced, and having no experience I had to pass. It looked like a lot of scraping, tacking, salting, drying to possibly wind up with a crusty brittle hair piece of Elk. Could be wrong though.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I am pretty much agreeing with Jimmie on this after giving it some thought. Unless you are going to use a huge amount of deer hair I would buy it pre treated. I have cured my own rooster capes years ago and scavenged a few road kills for 'Urine stained fur from a vixen fox' (need this for a real Light Cahill) and I collected a weasel once that had been hit by a car (pretty rare) other than these examples I have always purchased furs in patches for fly tying.

I used to have pointers and had access to lots of pheasant and grouse every year. I always plucked the feathers I wanted and bagged them because I already knew what was involved in curing the whole skins. Now I buy skins that are cured.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-25-2010, 03:12 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
so I threw them all in the washer with some soap.

I wound up with deer hair stew so thick the water wouldn't drain out.
Only a guy would do this... hope you didn't get into to much trouble
Old 11-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Gordon,

I think the best deer hair comes from Northern Deer. The belly hair is the best for spinning. The body hair in natural brown is good for everything else that you might use deer hair for. The belly hair is usually white and can be dyed to any color.

I would get a square foot of each. You need to scrape all of the fat and meat off of the hide. Then stretch and nail to a flat board. Let it dry and then remove from the board. It will be stiff but usable. You can now cut into smaller patches. For long term storage keep in an air tight container. A wide mouth Mason jar is the best I have found. Put some deer hair in the bottle with the skin up. Light a small piece of paper and place it in the jar. Immediately put on the lid and the burning paper will go out. This removes any oxygen and prevents deterioration.

Or, after the pieces of hide are dried you can tan them. Tanning takes some knowledge and not something to do in your kitchen.

Frank