The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 04:08 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Drift, or other Boat Question ??

This question is open for anyone, but I was curious as what other boat
owners do with their boats.

If you live in a climate like mine (Ada ,Michigan : very close to Grand Rapids ) do you take your boat out no matter the conditions ?

If there is ice flowing in the river do you go out ?

I went out last year in Jan. & had rather large (like small car sized) pieces of ice about 4-6 inches thick hit the boat. One even move my drift boat that was firmly anchored at each end.

Do you take your's out, or store it till the water is less dangerous ?

Thanks,
Tie One On
Old 11-30-2008, 05:33 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Drift, or other Boat Question ??

I don't own a drift boat, and we winterize our ranger mid November. I do have a small canoe that I take out during the winter. Most of the time I do not go in water deep enough to need a boat/watercraft. I think you just need to be careful, where you are in the river and how the big the ice junks are, if they are big enough to do great harm than maybe you should not be in there.

I live in the Chicago Suburbs. I never seen pretty big chunks on the rivers I go on.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tie one on,

Of course I go out in the Winter, but I live in Florida.

I know that you fish a lot by yourself and those conditions sound a little dangerous to me. If you were busy fishing and one of those ice burgs hit the boat you might be in the water. I just don't think I would fish in those conditions with out a partner and then I would think about it.

Frank
Old 11-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

In the Winter I have my boat stored, although I have floated the Green in February many times but that was years ago. Kind of fun to have a heater and a small tarp to hold over your head while you warm up.

If there are chunks floatin' down the river, I'm not gonna be floatin' with em.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*