The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 09:52 PM

stuartr is on a distinguished road
Default Howdy

Hello from Virginia. I am live in the southwest portion of VA. I am 30 and have FFed for about 13 yrs or so. I fish for mainly trout and bass. I also fish in Tennessee around the South Holston tailwaters and sometimes the Wataqua tailrace too. I grew up fishing trout in the Mtn streams of VA and on the head of the clinch for bass up here in VA. I still fish the mtn streams when the water is up and I still fish the clinch for bass along with the New River, the north Fork Holston for bass. So I guess that is about it. This seems like a good board I have been looking about for a bit and finally joined I hope to become a active member.

STU
Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: Howdy

Welcome Stuartr!

Look forward to seeing more posts. This board is great, there are a lot of people that know a lot and aren't afraid to share!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Stu,
Glad you found the site. Please tell us more about your area.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Stuart. I'm looking forward to learning from you and the rest.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:32 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Hi Stu,

I'm up in Charlottesville, and I know there are a number of other VA posters on here, but I'm not sure if anyone might be down your way. Looking forward to your posts.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:45 PM

Where I live is in the MTNs but not alot of trout right here have to go about 1hr. I do have some decent bass fishing pretty close though. I live on the head of the Clinch river, about 30 miles from the beginning. I also tye flies, and build rods. Not great at either but the fish don't object. I think this will be nice more of a national board rather than the local ones get to see stuff from all over.
Heres some pics from this year.Click the image to open in full size.
One at night on gurgler fly.
Click the image to open in full size.
About 20in on popper.
Tailwater Bow.
22in back in the spring.
22in New River.

STU
Old 12-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Stuart,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you do become an active member. Some nice water in your area. We tried to move up to Elizabethon in NE Tennessee but couldn't swing it when the housing market collapsed. I will be looking forward to you sharing some of your knowledge and experiences.

One thing on posting pictures. You need to down size them a bit. You are OK with this post but if you start a thread with pictures this big you will blow out the Portal page. A large picture is OK down in the thread but you have to be careful with the first post in a thread. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Frank
Old 12-01-2008, 04:49 PM

Sorry about that, alot of forums resize pics automatically. But sorry the Etown thing fell out for you. That is a really nice town. Did you get to fish the Wataqua? It is a super river. I live about 1.5hrs up north into VA from there.

STU
Old 12-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi stuart,

No, I didn't get to fish. I scoped it out though. I saw some nice fish come out of Wilbur Lake. Wataqua lake was gorgeous. I also saw the S. Houston at different places.

This was a house hunting trip and I just didn't have time to fish. I didn't take any gear to make sure we just looked at the area. We made two trips. One in October and one in January. It was going to be our last move but I am afraid that ship has sailed.

Frank