The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default cabelas hackle feather question

hey guys, im looking to get black wet fly hackle off of cabelas.com to tie some wooly buggers and i cant find anything. Do they have wet fly hackle or or something i can use to tie buggers. and if not could you recommend somewhere that does.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: cabelas hackle feather question

Hi eaglesfn68,

The best that I know about are the Bugger Packs from Whiting Farms. A lot of shops carry them. I couldn't find them at Cabela's. They are tapered saddle hackles. Don't confuse them with the Dry Fly Saddles that are much longer and intended for dry flies

Frank

Whiting Farms Bugger Packs
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:36 PM

thanks frank, what would be a website you recommend for fly tying materials since i dont have a shop close to me.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi eaglesfn68,

Try Feather-Craft in the East and Kaufmann Streamborn in the West.

I can highly recommend these two but they may not be the cheapest. I have bought from them since the mid-seventies and they have good quality stuff. Some items you can buy any where but when it comes to Bucktail, feathers and other similar items these two are high quality.

Frank
Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road

I second Feather-craft. Excellent service. I buy a lot of tying materials from them.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 PM

hey frank, feathercraft looks great and with 5.00 shipping

i do have a few questions about them though.

i couldnt find a natural pheasant tail on the site. can i replace that with a brown tail or am i looking in the wrong spot for the tail.

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955

also i wanted hackle for a wooly bugger. The site is a little confusing. would this do.

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955

and im getting marabou. Just wondering how many bugger tails could i get out of it. how does this look:

Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

eaglesfn68,
Here is a link to where I got my "Bugger Packs", they were like $14.00 a pkg, and I got one in all neccessary colors.

Awsome quality and feather count.Blue Ribbon Flies

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-02-2008, 09:26 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

i stopped by Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. I agree with that they have great stuff.

John
Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Hi eaglesfn68,

Take a look here for Bugger Packs. They are listed under "Feathers" instead of Hackle. That is so they are not confused with dry fly hackle.

Check here for Pheasant Center Tails. You might want to call them to make sure that is what you want. They have an 800 number and are great at giving information.

You should really go on line and order a catalog from Feather-Craft and Kaufmann. These are probably the two best catalogs out there. Gives you a chance to see everything. Use the search function to locate specific items. I find you get better results if you make your search target simple. For instance I found the Bugger Packs with just the word "Bugger".

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Whiting Bugger Pack
Item # TK007$13.95

WHITING BUGGER PACKS BEAUTIFUL SEMI-WEBBY HACKLE that will tye size-6, 8 and 10 buggers. It is furnished on a skin patch. Tom Whiting says this pak will tye up to 75-buggers. Dick Talleur says these are the best! COLORS: (1)Brown, (2)Olive, (3)Golden-Olive, (4)Dyed-Black, (5)Olive/Grizzly, (6)Golden-Olive/Grizzly, (7)Brown/Grizzly, (8)Natural-Grizzly, (9)Purple/Grizzly
>> View Item