The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:49 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Flourocarbon v. Monofilament

This may be a simple question, but go easy as I am a newbie. Flourocarbon leader and tippet sinks and monofilament leader and tippet floats. Correct? If so, what happens to a dry fly if it is attached to flouro leader and tippet? Do you use flouro with dry flies?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flourocarbon v. Monofilament

I use Fluoro with all my flies. It is a thinner diameter for same pound in mono.
It does sink, but I like that with a dry. I don't want my leader casting a shadow on the bottom or even a glint of sunlight. So, the fact fluoro does sink, it rides nicely in the film and I don't notice it pulling my dry down and I DO fish MICRO dries.

But, again, I don't buy tippet as it is way expensive. I buy regular Fluorocarbon (P-Line and Seaguar are the best in my opinion) in 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 lb. A little thicker diameter than Fluoro tippet, but I manage just fine. The 2 fits in the eye of my #32.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I do it different. A flouro leader will pull the line under. I use a mono leader and flouro tippet. I don't think the fish will see anything but the tippet and fly.

Otherwise why would Rio make their Classic hand tied leaders from dark mono except for the last couple of feet which is clear?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Well, IF RIO MAKES IT LOL just kidding.
I use furled leaders too, forgot to mention that. I use 5' to 6' furled leaders and tie 3' to 5' of fluoro to the leader, but again, the fluoro is going to the fly.
I think, if you have confidence in what you use is a big factor also.
I am a firm believer that fluoro makes a difference, and have several chances to prove it, but again I am confident in it.

But I use to use straight Mirage Fluoro leaders and LOVED THEM not line sink, but there are some lines that will no matter what leader you use.

Hey, I do make a black furled leader ;-)
Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

Joni, are your furled leaders made out of flouro? Other than the ones you make what do your consider to be the best furled leaders out there?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
Joni, are your furled leaders made out of flouro? Other than the ones you make what do your consider to be the best furled leaders out there?
I make mine out of thread or mono and add kevlar to the sinking ones. Fluoro is a little pricie even at the bulk I buy to make furls out of and I don't see any advantages to it.
Who makes the best?........does someone else make them LOL
Honestly, I don't know, I only use mine.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Otherwise why would Rio make their Classic hand tied leaders from dark mono except for the last couple of feet which is clear?
To sell more leaders to unknowing fly fishermen.
Fluoro leaders are made for sinking line or nymphing. Regular mono leaders (purely 20th century) with a fluoro tippet is what most mono leader using guys I know use.
Any way you look at it, use what your confident with.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
To sell more leaders to unknowing fly fishermen.
What would be the selling point?

It's good for the fish to see your leader?

Doesn't have a good ring to it.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
What would be the selling point?

It's good for the fish to see your leader?

Doesn't have a good ring to it.
What would be the selling point?Gee, I dunno?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Fluorocarbon is also a bit more abrasion resistant. If I'm after trout, I will generally have at least two spools of tippet with me: 5x mono for dries and tiny stuff, and 3 or 4x flouro for streamers and larger nymphs that are more likely to be down amongst the rocks.

If after bass and such with my 6wt, more like 3x mono and 2x flouro. Sometimes I'll just stick with the 3x flouro for everything because the bigger foam flies and poppers I'm throwing aren't going to be pulled down by a tippet.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.