The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Wright & McGill Rod

Quote:
Did this rod always come with two tips? why?
'Cuz they bend....
Use one too often and it will get bent (take a set)
If you alternate it's less likely to happen

To bend your's back...use direct heat from a hair drier and gently pull it back into shape

Try the Hook and Hackle High Floater line.... good line ..good value
Old 12-02-2008, 01:01 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

The Hook and Hackle High Floater line is their house brand (made by Cortland) and is the Cortland Classic Peach in a green color...it is less expensive than the Cortland and and Rio and I have used it and it performs just as well as the classic peach.

As for using a hair dryer on your rod....I would not recommend such dry heat...you can easily damage the varnish and boo. there are other methods less extreme that I won't mention because the SAFEST way to fix your set is to take it to a pro.....you will be glad you did. I have fished bamboo 30 years and even I get nervous when I try to fix a set on a rod I really love and has sentimental value to me.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:33 PM

RayMO is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info I am learning a lot about this. I will take your advise on this.

Thanks again and I will let you know about the reel tomorrow.

RayMO
Old 12-02-2008, 01:36 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Respectfully, bamboo rods are not as fragile as many people may think
They're stronger than graphite
That's why there's so many vintage rods around
By all means take the rod to a pro if you're nervous about fixing it yourself, but they're not going to do anything you can't do at home
A traditional way to straighten a set was in the heat over a toaster
I would recommend something not quite so warm
Old 12-02-2008, 01:39 PM

RayMO is on a distinguished road

The set in the one tip is pretty bad because my uncle stored it in such a way that the tip was bent (can you believe that). The rod was just setting in the corner in an old shed with the tip bending against a rafter. Who knows how many years (talking decades here) he was 90 when he passed on. I will definitly take it to a pro I hope it can be fixed. The other tip has no set at all, I doubt if it was ever used.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:48 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I've taken out many sets. It's really not that hard. I boil some water and use the stream from it. Heat up the set in the tip and hold it in the opposite direction from the set. Let it cool as you continue to hold it.

That's what a pro will do. It's not rocket science.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:21 PM

The steam method is certainly less drastic than a dryer or toaster and the method I use..... with a really bad set....it might be a good idea to do in steps and not try to fix the entire set in one try.... I did this on a relly bent tip that I was asked to try to straighten and it worked well..and the set didn't come back. I would suggest this if you try it yourself...especially if the set has been this way for a really long time.

Old Man - I agree it is not rocket science especially to someone who has been around Bamboo for a long time, but it is foreign to those unfamiliar with Bamboo and they can (and usually do) use too much heat or try to bend the tip to far. Not knowing how good the varnish is on this rod...I would be reluctant to advise on doing it yourself....again - just my opinion.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex50 View Post
The steam method is certainly less drastic than a dryer or toaster and the method I use..... with a really bad set....it might be a good idea to do in steps and not try to fix the entire set in one try.... I did this on a relly bent tip that I was asked to try to straighten and it worked well..and the set didn't come back. I would suggest this if you try it yourself...especially if the set has been this way for a really long time.

Old Man - I agree it is not rocket science especially to someone who has been around Bamboo for a long time, but it is foreign to those unfamiliar with Bamboo and they can (and usually do) use too much heat or try to bend the tip to far. Not knowing how good the varnish is on this rod...I would be reluctant to advise on doing it yourself....again - just my opinion.
You're probably right. I think if someone is careful and goes slow it works ok. Trying to take out the whole set is risky and I should have mentioned it. Thanks for picking up on it.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 PM

OldMan - Slow and in steps is always the best way with a severe set... Unfortunately I learned that lesson the hard way...by snapping a tip...many years ago... I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when that sucker snapped. Thank goodness it was not an expensive rod.

U still fishing Grangers? I love them, but my favorite old rod is a 6wt Phillipson

Those Denver rod builders were great.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex50 View Post
OldMan - Slow and in steps is always the best way with a severe set... Unfortunately I learned that lesson the hard way...by snapping a tip...many years ago... I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when that sucker snapped. Thank goodness it was not an expensive rod.

U still fishing Grangers? I love them, but my favorite old rod is a 6wt Phillipson

Those Denver rod builders were great.
I love the Grangers, but I have my eye on a Heddon. I hear good things about their tapers, and I want to try one.