The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 AM

RayMO is on a distinguished road
Old Wright & McGill Rod

First post....

My uncle recently passed away and I have been dealing with all the 'stuff' around his house. Out in an old sheed I found:

Bamboo
Wright & McGill Granger Rod.
Model: Lake and Stream
SL9050

9 foot 5 weight.

I also have the orignal cloth sleeve, tube, and reel.
I assume that this was made back in the early 1950's

Anyone know the value of this? When it was new it sold for $250.
Do you think it would be safe to use?

Thanks
RayMO
Old 12-02-2008, 08:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Wright & McGill Rod

It's not a 'wall hanger' Ray
Use it

Wright & McGill Rods

As you can see, your rod is not a 5wt, it weights 5oz
More likely a 6wt
Old 12-02-2008, 08:42 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

It was built to fish. Fish it. I've had Grangers built in the 30's and they fished just fine.

Are you sure it sold for $250? That seems too high for those days.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM

Thanks guys,

I agree about using it, guess I'll give her a try. I got the $250 from this web site:

Wright & McGill Co. Rods

But I have to agree that seems like a lot of money...maybe that is an estimate of current value?

Thanks for the info on the weight.

RayMO
Old 12-02-2008, 08:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

That's how much it's worth in very good condition, not what it cost
Old 12-02-2008, 08:56 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Those are prices for present value. I'm guessing the rod sold for $25-$45 new.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:27 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I've fished a lot of Grangers in my time and bought and sold them too....WM Grangers are worth less than Goodwin Grangers - which were pre-WWII. Stream and Lake replaced the Champion when WM bought the company from Grangers widow in 1946. It was the low end of the Grangers models. That said Grangers hold up well and are very fishable. I still use a Granger Champion 8642 made in 1937. If the wraps are good, all the guides there and the ferrules good and tight...it is very fishable. There were a few 9' WM models I believe.....look on the tube and see what 4 digit number is. If it is a 9050 (the most desirable among collectors) it is probably a 6 wt Double Taper ( the designation indicated 9' 5.0 oz weight) ...I can't remember all the other designations...but there was a 9' 4 3/4 oz rod made for a while that I believe was a 5 wt (all lines sizes are based on Double Taper)...The only 9053 I fished was a 7 wt.

As for value - 9' rods are less valuable than shorter lengths. $250 is a modern price and seems a bit high unless it is in reall good shape and has both tips. New in the late 40 or very early 50's the Stream and Lake would probably have not been more than $20 - 25.

For what it is worth - don't sell it...fish it and it will give you many hours of joy. Also the action is a bit crisper than alot of bamboo rods made during that time.... a Medium-fast action...the 6 wt is great for big trout...even Bass.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:37 AM

A couple of additional thoughts....you didn't mention if the rod had both tips...if so that increases the value...also if the tips are full length with no sets. if there are sets and you wish to fish the rod...take it to someone who builds or repairs bamboo and let him straighten the tip. You can do it but it is very easy to do damage to the rod if you don't know what you are doing so take it to a pro...they probably won't even charge you.

I'm interested as to what type of reel you found with this rod. Sometimes the reel increases more in value than the rod.... let us know what reel it had with it please. Also if the reel has silk line on it....keep the line and try to clean it and refurbish it...there are web sites that tell you how to do it. It is a pain to maintain silk line but a real hoot to fish with.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the great info.

I have two tips. One is in great shape and the other one is bent very badly, but not broke. I suspect that it could be corrected by someone who really knows what they are doing (that's not me).

The number on the tube is 9050. So I'll get some six wieght line, any recomendation on what you think would work good here?

I will take a look at the reel tonight and let you all know tomorrow what it is.

Did this rod always come with two tips? why?

I would never consider selling this because of the family history that goes with it.

RayMO
Old 12-02-2008, 11:45 AM

Yes - they all came with 2 tips. By the way the designation for this is a 3/2 rod (3 pieces/2tips). It was and still mostly is common to have two tips with Bamboo - in case one broke and also to alternate to minimize "sets" that can happen with bamboo. It is great news that you have both tips and they are original length, and that one is fishable...take the other with the set in it to a pro and have him straighten it out.

As for line to use with Bamboo - I would recommend two brands - I use both and like both very much. Double Taper seems to load older bamboo easier.

Rio Selective Trout II - DT6F

Cortland 444 (Classic Peach Color) - DT6F

Both are very supple which is important with older Bamboo rods as the shooting guide (the first guide) and the snake guides are smaller than modern rods. For colder weather, The Rio seems to maintain its suppleness a bit more than the Cortland...but both are very fine lines for Bamboo.

The family history of this rod is great and will make it special to fish and past on to future generations...

One suggestion - if you are going to fish this rod - go online to ebay or some other site and buy a new sock and a metal tube and store the original sock and cardboard tube where it won't get damaged. That way you can maintain the history of the rod. If you are interested and can't find a sock or tube...PM me and I will send you some info.

Good Fishing