The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 05:42 PM

i want to catch fish will become famous soon enough
Default need help plezz

ok i have been fly fishing for the last year now i have cheep 8 weight with out a drag sometimes it sucks esp. ifi hook up with a steelhead its nothe best rod but it got me to learn all types of casting i love to do i just have a ? i do alot of steelhead and bass fishing and want a all purpose rod where i can just change out spools when i am fising in the river for steel head i will be mostly chuck and duck some place i can false cast but when i am fishing for bass i am fishing windy conditions casting pretty good distances btw i am a college studdent and and my max price range for a rod and reel is a bout 300 or so so plezz let me konw any ideas and what you think thanks
Old 12-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: need help plezz

i want to see punctuation and sentences

Jeebus.

College?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:20 PM

sorry i didnt look it over it i was cooking at the time
Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, like reading a text message at 2AM.
In my humble opinion $300 is plenty for a good setup. I would spend $150-$200 on a mid level TFO or St. Croix in a 9WT. Might be overkill for the Bass but a fast action 9WT will cut through the wind. You will notice that your "cheap" 8wt will feel like a wet noodle compared to a decent 9WT. Will take a little adjusting too but you should pick it up no problem.
Fancy reels look awesome and I've been guilty of chasing the "bling" myself ($600 later its almost too pretty to fish) but I think the bulk of your money should be spent on a good rod and line. You can pick up a used Orvis V or a Phlueger on ebay for $75-$100 bucks. Good reels, with good drags, If you need more drag just palm it.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Ditto's on the grammar and spelling dude;

Attachment 1249

Hi,

I live in Alaska and fish for Steelhead and whatever else is on the menu. I have a few different rigs that cost some appreciable bucks like Orvis, Hardy, and Sage to name a few but the absolute best value that I found (and fish the most) is called a "Quarrow" fly rod.

Go to eBay and type in Quarrow Fly Rod and you will find them. I bought a 9' 7wt. about a year and a half ago and it is outstanding in every way. The price was around $62 delivered! They have great hardware and fish every bit as well as any other rod I own!

The larger fish in the picture was a 22Lb. 38" Pacific Silver Salmon landed on the Quarrow rod (that's it in the pic) I've caught Kings and all the others on it too.

You can read my full review on the rod at "reviewstream.com" type in my user name "Hardyreels" to find the review or just enter Quarrow fly rod into the search box. I love it and can't say enough good things about them. The 9' is a three piece rod with a covered case, very nice.

Don't blow a bunch of bucks without considering this brand. If you check the reviewstream site for all my reviews you may find some other items that you may enjoy hearing my opinion of. Stuff like binoculars, cameras, knives, you get the picture I hope. Lamson makes a reel called a Konic 3.5 that sells new at $139 you can set up for under 225 line and all.

Good luck and I hope that if you buy a Quarrow you'll let me know how you like it.

Ard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_00070001.jpg (96.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-03-2008, 12:06 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

wow hardyreels! those rods are awesome looking for that price! I might have get one if they are still in after xmas. if I get some x-mas money I will get me a 4wt. I got just about every other weight already lol.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:03 PM

thanks to all and sorry about the grammer i type really fast when i am in a rush. I will check it out and ill let everyone konw. thanks to all