The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Why I'm not fishing

It's a good time to toss a log in the stove and wrap some tinsel, feathers and fur unto a hook.

This is what one of my favorite little rivers looks like these days. So when you notice that I seem to be posting to every thread remember these photos.

Humor me here and tell me what your fishing for and maybe even post a picture or two like GMF did of the fall colors. It's been awhile since the leaves dropped here but we had a very colorful fall season this year.

Attachment 1251

Attachment 1252

Attachment 1253
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_00690001.jpg (96.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_00750001.JPG (82.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_00790001.jpg (86.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Why I'm not fishing

Hi Ard,

With all those lakes around you how about some ice fishing. We use to catch Grayling on Mirror lake during the winter.

Frank
Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure I could handle Alaska. Although the summer fishing might make up for it.

The part of Colorado I live in is called the banana belt. Pretty mild winters. The Arkansas River is still wide open right now, and some of the smaller streams too.

The problem is, I have to use (ugh) nymphs.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Oldman,

I live in Anchorage for 3 years and the coldest we had was -20. Not too bad compared to Fairbanks. The Wasila area where Hardyreels lives has better weather than Anchorage. I also lived in Fairbanks for 12 years and the coldest we ever had at the house was -65. Most of the Winter was around -40. My wife hated to put on her parka and boots just to check the mail. If my job had taken me to Anchorage we would still be there.

When my mother made her first trip to Fairbanks we told her we would pick her up with the dog sled. We were kidding but she was expecting it.

Frank
Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I start complaining when it hits 20 degrees here. I don't like to wear gloves fishing, and I lose the strength in my hands at 20 degrees. When I can't cut a 5x tippet anymore. It's time to go back to the Jeep and warm up.

-40 degrees? Not this old man.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Frank,

For the past few years we are much colder than the Anchorage Bowl but that can be very dependant on exactly where you are at. Temps can vary by as much as 5 to 10 degrees in a matter of ten miles. They often get more snow than we do but we are getting colder here at the house. I spend the winters at our bush camp out the trail past Skwentna and I am very familiar with -40* weather. Winter time is when I work on the place.

Ice fishing never appealed to me. I guess if I had been into it early on I may enjoy it but I am a fly fisherman. I just love to tie my flies and cast them. There is more than enough fish in the freezer to last until May so I probably wont even think about it. Just work on the place out at the lake, write, and wait for spring.

Ard
Old 12-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Hardyreels

For what its worth, its 18 degrees here in Laramie, WY today and snowing. The forecast high is for 27 degrees. Not much in the way of fishing here either except for tailwaters!

I lived in Fairbanks for 16 years and loved it! Mighty cold in the winter but the hunting and fishing in the summer and fall made up for it. I sure miss the outdoors in Alaska!

Larry
Old 12-03-2008, 12:52 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

The wife and I are complianing now taht the temps are getting into the mid 20's at night and upper 30's for highs a little most days are still 45-55. Untill the knee doc put me outa orrder for the next three months I dont guess I'll get much fishing in anyway lol. Untill then we have been cathing bow's and nice browns on the LLR and bass and striper hybrids on the lake.
Good fishin
Bear
Old 12-03-2008, 04:17 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

Those are pretty pictures you took. It looks really cold and I am sorry, you can't fish it right now. I live in eastern Nebraska. It is 25 degrees and wind blowing at a good speed. Mostly lakes around where I live and they are all froze over. Probably not thick enough for ice fishing yet.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Frank,

For the past few years we are much colder than the Anchorage Bowl but that can be very dependant on exactly where you are at. Temps can vary by as much as 5 to 10 degrees in a matter of ten miles. They often get more snow than we do but we are getting colder here at the house. I spend the winters at our bush camp out the trail past Skwentna and I am very familiar with -40* weather. Winter time is when I work on the place.

Ice fishing never appealed to me. I guess if I had been into it early on I may enjoy it but I am a fly fisherman. I just love to tie my flies and cast them. There is more than enough fish in the freezer to last until May so I probably wont even think about it. Just work on the place out at the lake, write, and wait for spring.

Ard
Hi Ard,

I have driven many times from Fairbanks to Anchorage and there was always less snow at Wasila. I remember Skwentna well. We use to fly to the air port a lot. It was a good drop point when moose hunting up the Yentna.