The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 08:00 AM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What am i doing wrong

Pie,
As you can tell from the above posts the normal learning curve can be frustrating. I have shared this sport with many friends and family and the success rate is very much attributed to time on the water. However, there are a few things everyone must learn prior to consistent success. First, you have to fish where the fish are, a guide and good buddies will help with that. Second, you have to have a fly in the water to catch fish. If you watch the guide on your trip you will see how efficient your guide is with knots and gear changes. The normal beginner spends almost as much time making adjustments to their flies and fixing tangles as they do fishing. Third, know the entomology of your stream or lake. Take a class on bugs as soon as you can it is usually the difference between good fly fishermen and average fly fishermen.

My father in law spent an entire year learning the sport only catching a handful of fish. I would put my rod down and spend time with him in the best lies along our favorite river until he had the chance to at least hook a few fish and then move on to actually fighting the fish correctly. Today he has a hobby for the rest of his life and has shared it with others. He is now my go to guy for information on his local river.

Fly fishing is gift to be shared, pass it on.

Coy
Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjweller View Post
Don't get discouraged! That is key.

Last, remember why you are out there. Fresh air, you're not at work, no one is *****ing at you, it's quiet. Being a pretty accomplished fly fisherman, I got skunked four outings in a row last January. It happens. That fifth day when I hooked a 10 inch rainbow, it meant as much to me as a 24 inch fish.

I also bought a whiskey flask and added it to my gear. It helps a lot!
I fish with Bret (bjweller) almost every week, and I can attest to these two things.

Even the best flyfisher gets skunked or loses five straight hook ups. And it doesn't matter if you have caught a hundred 20" trout in your lifetime, if you have a few bad days in a row you start questioning everything. We have all felt like poor fishermen at some point. Golfers are the same way. Very mentally taxing sports really.

I would give you one piece of advice: find a person to fish with that is better than you are and learn everything he/she knows about the sport. It doesn't have to be a guide necessarily, but somebody who is having success more consistently. Bret taught me how to nymph five years ago and we continue to help each other improve. Now I pass along what I know to others. It is part of the natural cycle.

But make sure you both get a flask. Really. And take turns driving.

Gary
Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie314 View Post
fortunately Dan contacted me first and has been very curtious and offered some guidance. I am looking forward to hopefully hitting the water some time next year with him.

As for now I just recieved the good word from my brother that one of my favorite pike lakes has about 5 inches of ice on it. 7 fresh inches of snow, 5 degrees above zero. Add in a bottle of hot 100 and my jiggin rod and its going to be a good weekend.

Hey Dan, have you hit any ice yet?
Even the river froze solind here by the second week in November. I'll bet they are driving trucks out on the lake already. I am going to try and do some Pike fishing through the ice this winter too. This is one of the best lakes for on the planet. I should show you the deal I invented. It's a cross between a tip up and a rod holder. It's a rod holder that....uh ....works like a tip up.

Hey I just noticed, post number 1000!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:00 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough

Just had my first fly tying class last night. I know have a new addiction. Its just a streamer class, and i learned how to tie a wolly bugger. I know its one of the easier flies to tie but its still really fun. I cant wait to tie more and learn different styles of tying. I am renting a cheap griffin vise for the class but now need to get my own vise. I really like the regel pedastal vise, my instructor also said that the renzetti rotary vises are nice too. What are you guyses thoughts on vises???
Old 12-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie314 View Post
Just had my first fly tying class last night. I know have a new addiction. Its just a streamer class, and i learned how to tie a wolly bugger. I know its one of the easier flies to tie but its still really fun. I cant wait to tie more and learn different styles of tying. I am renting a cheap griffin vise for the class but now need to get my own vise. I really like the regel pedastal vise, my instructor also said that the renzetti rotary vises are nice too. What are you guyses thoughts on vises???
Good to hear you are taking a fly tying class and yes it is very addictive, but a lot of fun. Nothing wrong with a wooly bugger, they will catch lots of trout.
You can't go wrong with a Renzetti, Regal, Peak or any of the other vises in that price range. Just pick one you like, in your price range and go for it. Make sure it has nice solid steel jaws and a fine adjustment mechanism for different size hooks and you should be fine. Rotary is a nice feature, but not necessary. Think about joining our future fly swaps, you don't have to be an expert tier, just a sense of adventure and the willingness to learn.

Larry

Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

My advise is to get whatever is in your budget. I have been tying for a year on what is, in all honesty, a complete piece of ****. But the flies it turns out look good and catch fish. I'm just now starting to think about upgrading to a rotary vice on a stand.

I would suggest getting an OK vice (not great) and use the money you save to get some extra materials. You can always use more materials....

Oh, and do yourself a favor. Go out and get a ceramic bobbin, not a metal one. The metal one WILL burr and start cutting your thread at inopportune times. Trust me.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-08-2010, 06:36 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i second the ceramic bobbin! there is nothing more frustrating than being 99 percent done with a fly and having the thread break.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:34 PM

mash1956 is on a distinguished road

hello,I have been fly fishing for about 4 years, I really enjoy it but I don't catch many fish!! My wife made fun of me for going, but she did not get it ..until one day I took her, now she has a new rod and reel!! we do'nt catch much bu,t being out in nature having fun ...best time of all.
Keep working at it
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

Hey bud,
I got lucky my 1st couple of fly fishing trips, fish were gobbling grass hoppers and I accidentaly caught trout not knowing what I was doing. I then fished for a long time getting my butt kicked, lucky for me I live in MT and there are a lot of dumb fish to help with learning curves.
If you can try to fish with someone who is willing to teach you the areas that are productive along with the techniques. every where you go there are different techiniques that work regionally. If you get a chance come out here and I could teach you some nymphing setups that work worldwide, and have some fun doing it, but with that might not being an option, go to a local flyfishing shop and ask what and how to fish, depth, reading water, whats hatching, what temperature to fish, there are a lot of things to know but hopefully local knowledge can help you, it will get fun once you start picking up the small things and havign some success
Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough

After tying a couple dozen buggers, i now know why everyone says to get a ceramic bobbin. I was just finishing tying off my wire at the tip of a bead head bugger and snap. This was the 3rd time in one night this has happend. And it really sucked because it was one of my better flies, i have really been taking my time and trying really hard to make a quality good looking product(im kind of a perfectionist and in fly tying it really comes out in me).

So i ordered my new vise, a griffen spyder rotary c-clamp style. Its a cheaper vise but the rental unit im tying on now is a cheaper griffin vise and it works great and its only $50. So i was talking with the fly shop owner about the griffen rotary, he never had any experience with it so he just said," i'll order one up and you can tie on it for the remainder of the class period and if you like it you can buy it or ill just keep it, no big deal." This is another thing i really like about the fly fishing industry, everyone seems to care and you can tell they are passionate about what they are teaching, selling ect. they arent bs'n you to make a profit. So know that im not spending $200 on just a vise i can get that nice ceramic bobbin and other quality tools and spend the remainder i would have spent on materials.