The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: beginner got a good set up?

My guess is it is a Heddon fiberglass rod...if it is 8.5" long it is probably going to be a 6 or 7 wt...The HCH on the rod indicates a 7 wt Double taper line). However, I have found with modern lines, you can probably go down to a 6 wt.....a 4 wt would really be pushing it. The rod will be what is called a slow action so you need to slow down your casting so you can feel the rod load. You bought a medalist reel - thery are functional and perfectly fine to fish with.

If it is bamboo, you might have yourself a find. The easiest way to tell...fiberglass will be round and bamboo will be 6 sided. I don't know alot about heddon...but I think the victory was made only in fiberglass.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the help peregrines and george!

i tried it out on my lawn today with the 6wt way better than it did with the 4wt! felt real good, and i'm very excited to go fishing this weekend! (just stocked a pond with trout nearby!)

so i got two more questions!

1. the fly guy at sportsman's said to crush the barb, would yall recomend that?

2. My line set up is listed below and i think the fly guy said the tippet is supposed to be a "regulation 18inches," is it a regulation, like tournament wise or something? oh and a quick third... what would you recomend as a knot from the leader to the tippet be?

like 80 yards of backing
then 6 wt
then they put on like 10 inches of 30lb
then they put on trout 7 1/2 ft. 3x leader
and they said put on 18 inches of fluorocarbon tippet (7lb)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex50 View Post
My guess is it is a Heddon fiberglass rod...if it is 8.5" long it is probably going to be a 6 or 7 wt...The HCH on the rod indicates a 7 wt Double taper line). However, I have found with modern lines, you can probably go down to a 6 wt.....a 4 wt would really be pushing it. The rod will be what is called a slow action so you need to slow down your casting so you can feel the rod load. You bought a medalist reel - thery are functional and perfectly fine to fish with.

If it is bamboo, you might have yourself a find. The easiest way to tell...fiberglass will be round and bamboo will be 6 sided. I don't know alot about heddon...but I think the victory was made only in fiberglass.
yeah, i looked up my pole and you got everything right on about my pole! nice job
and thanks for the help too wtex50
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 PM

got my camera on my mac to work, and here is the martin 63

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

Barbless is the way to go if you are going to release the fish...crimp the barb with a pair of needlenose pliers or forceps. If you really get into trout fishing, the majority of fly fishers catch and release...In most of the mountain states...catch and release is the law on a lot of the water you would fish. In Texas, not so much but there are places that are catch and release.

Your Martin is also a very functional reel and can be used on your Heddon...just be sure to use the proper weight line.

Good luck this weekend!!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, it sounds like you're off to a great start. Nice reel.

1. Some places require you to fish with a crushed barb, but it's a good idea even if they don't. It's easier on the fish, but most importantly, it's easier on you in case you hook yourself accidentally while casting. It's easy to do, even with experience, with wind, etc. I still do it once in awhile and I've been FF a long time. And while you're learning you might be a little wild. It's ALWAYS a good idea to wear some eye protection (sunglasses) and a hat. The sunglasses (if they're polarized) and hat (like a ball cap with brim) will help you spot fish too.

2. Don't know if the 18" is a "regulation", but a length of tippet 18- 25" is good to use-- it'll be long enough that you can snip off flies and retie new ones on the same tippet without having to retie a new tippet on.

Leader to tippet- use a double surgeons knot. A blood knot would work too, but it's a bit more difficult to tie. Here's a handy site:
Grog's Fishing Knots Index

For what it's worth, the fly guy sounds like he's giving you good advice, so he knows his stuff. Keep asking questions here and let us know how you're doing. Good luck!

peregrines
Old 12-06-2008, 12:02 AM

thanks for the help once again guys!
goin out early tomorrow to fish! i'm so stoked, i'll be sure to take pics!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:18 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I crimp the barb on my hooks for smaller fish like bass and gills. if I am fishing steelhead I don't because they are huge and I never had a problem with them swallowing a hook like a gill or small bass or something like that could. it is easier on you tho trust me! I hooked myself with a barbed bugger right on the thumb trying to help my cousin tie a knot. must of missed the nerves caue I felt nothing. had to use forcepts and just about all my might to pull it free! haha. theres no trout around here except huge stocked steelies but if they were wild trout i'd go barbless for sure and as long as you keep the line tight you should be good its up to you unless it is regulated by the state. I usually add 2 1/2 feet of tippet or so. this just helps you preserve your leader so you don't waste it up when changing flies. shouldn't matter the size really unless you are in some tournament? hope you catch some tomoorw and post the pics! good luck!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.