The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Knotted leader info

where is some good reference material for making knotted leaders? knots,different material,lengths etc.? and has anyone used colored shooting line(amnesia,frog hair) as a sort of a indicator?

thanks

flymoron
Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Knotted leader info

Search "tapered fly leader chart"
Old 11-03-2010, 09:32 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Hey there flymoron,
I cant comment much about the knotted leaders. Im sure that Riptide or some other expert will join in and point you down the right path.
As far as using Amnesia as an indicator hopefully this can help.....
On my 5wt setup my line does not have a loop on the end. I used Frank Whiton's, and others, suggestion of nail knotting a 6-8" piece of Amnesia to my line the tying a loop in order to attach my leader. I have to say I am very happy with the results. I can turn over dries with ease and it works very well as an indicator for me. You may have to taylor the idea a little to fit your specific needs but I think youll be happy in the end.
Just my half-nickel.....

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
Hey there flymoron,
I cant comment much about the knotted leaders. Im sure that Riptide or some other expert will join in and point you down the right path.
As far as using Amnesia as an indicator hopefully this can help.....
On my 5wt setup my line does not have a loop on the end. I used Frank Whiton's, and others, suggestion of nail knotting a 6-8" piece of Amnesia to my line the tying a loop in order to attach my leader. I have to say I am very happy with the results. I can turn over dries with ease and it works very well as an indicator for me. You may have to taylor the idea a little to fit your specific needs but I think youll be happy in the end.
Just my half-nickel.....
What he said I use twisted/furled leaders for all of my fishing applications and the short piece of "Amnesia" nail knotted to the end of my fly line with a Perfection Loop in the end lends itself nicely to attaching my leaders as well as visibility on the drift.

Kelly.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Another good search is "Leader Calc".
The tip on my 6 wt is so small that I finally had to do away with loop to loop, and opt for putting leader on Amnesia with a double surgeons. I'm going to lose fly line over time.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't use colored material, but I do often paint my knots with florescent fabric paint. That way you can see "reference points" as the leader drops out of sight into the depths.
For trout leaders, I like a hard mono like Maxima for the butt and the mid taper. Then I'll switch to a soft material for the tippet. That helps the leader to cast straight but is still limp enough up front to help prevent micro drag.
For leader formulas, I use the chart that came with my original Orvis leader tie kit plus some others that I've developed on my own. Always tied with blood knots.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymoron View Post
and has anyone used colored shooting line(amnesia,frog hair) as a sort of a indicator?
Yes. I use a three foot section of Amnesia as an indicator for my pocket water and Czech nymphing leaders.

Here is an example of a pocket water leader:
  • Three feet orange Amnesia connected using a double nail knot to
  • Five to six feet 1x or 2x leader material connected using a tippet ring to
  • Twelve to 18 inches of 2x or 3x leader material connected using a tippet ring to
  • Whatever diameter leader material is going to the first fly. It has to be lighter than the section above in order to break in case of a snag.

Notes on the design:
  • Narrow diameters of leader materials will cut through the water quicker than a standard tapered leader design.
  • The use of tippet rings make for break points in case of snags.
  • The short section is an attachment section for external weight.
  • This is the same design that I use for my regular nymphing leader. I just use clear Amnesia instead. The clear Amnesia is my anchor point for an indicator.
  • This design can be modified into a Czech nymph leader with additional sections using tippet rings and leader material.

I learned from one of my guide friends that some guides are using 30 pound Dacron backing as their five to six foot leader bodies. Their thoughts are that what is under the leader body needs to be stealthy, and losing fluorocarbon leader bodies can get quite expensive.

MP