The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 02:45 PM

sevenmxf is on a distinguished road
Default Your Thoughts, Gentlemen? April trip to VA, NC or TN.

Greetings, all -

As winter begins to seep into Upstate NY, I find myself planning for a late-April, father-son trip to VA, NC or Eastern TN. I'd love to get Xavier (my son) into a good number of fish - size isn't as important. As many of you know, we began our fly fishing odyssey earlier this year and we've progressed nicely. Multi-fish days for Xavier, however, have been few and far between. I'd like to start next spring off with a bang if possible. Having access to a nice, angler-friendly town would be a bonus.

Any thoughts as to what fisheries I should research/consider? As always, your insight and thoughts are very much appreciated.

Hope you're all well.

Michael
Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: Your Thoughts, Gentlemen? April trip to VA, NC or TN.

Hey Michael,
Are you dead set on those states? I could give you some great springtime destinations but they are in WV and would focus primarily on trout. Is that what your after? What kind of lodging are you looking for? Are you willing to camp?
Just a few questions to help us help you.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 11-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I think I would be looking at trying to get Seth to meet you guys and show you around. Nothing beats local knowledge. I could make recommendations based on my time spent as a resident of VA. but that is 17 year old material and may not be relevant.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-03-2010, 04:30 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

If you decided to hit WNC I could take/show you alot of wild trout streams. It's all small water, but some have been known to hold 15+" fish.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:48 PM

sevenmxf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
Hey Michael,
Are you dead set on those states? I could give you some great springtime destinations but they are in WV and would focus primarily on trout. Is that what your after? What kind of lodging are you looking for? Are you willing to camp?
Just a few questions to help us help you.
Hi Seth,

I'm looking at the week of April 17th - Xavier has a week off, just like millions of other ten year olds, though I'd guess most of them won't be in waders and looking for trout. Yes - we're targeting trout. Camping is an option! We'll be driving from NY - so WV is indeed an option as it's closer than TN.

Let me know what you're thinking. We can PM if that's easier.

Many thanks.
Michael

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzenangler View Post
If you decided to hit WNC I could take/show you alot of wild trout streams. It's all small water, but some have been known to hold 15+" fish.
Hey franzenangler -

Thanks very much for the offer. Ard's right - local knowledge would be quite an asset and I've seen your results in your posts. It would be great to meet up. The trip is a blank slate at this point. I'm trying to narrow down the options a bit and I'll keep your very kind offer in mind over the next few days. I'll be in touch!

Michael

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I think I would be looking at trying to get Seth to meet you guys and show you around. Nothing beats local knowledge. I could make recommendations based on my time spent as a resident of VA. but that is 17 year old material and may not be relevant.
You're right, Ard. It would be a huge win to hookup with someone who could show us the ropes a bit. That's too much to ask for but certainly would be nice. There's lots of water down there!!

Oh - while I have you: While I wasn't able to actually land any steelies last week, I hooked four Kings on the Salmon River. At least they're taking my fly. Not bad for a first timer though going from 12" browns to 30+lb salmon was a huge leap for me. Going up next week for more punishment! Can't wait.

Cheers!
Michael
Old 11-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Wild Trout Stream Maps
Old 11-03-2010, 06:35 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

Tennesee's South Holston and Watauga tailwaters, are great fisheries too, and a license cost $90. It's only an 1.5-2 hour drive from my town.

Also the Shenandoah in Virginia is definatly something to look into, it's got some monsterous wild brookies.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

I would try some small streams in WNC like in pisgah. Smokies are always crowded. Lots of water, but overfished.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtacos View Post
I would try some small streams in WNC like in pisgah. Smokies are always crowded. Lots of water, but overfished.
These are the waters I fish, only a 20 minute drive to the Pisgah and some of my favorite water. You'rre right about the smokies, it gets hammered.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:46 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Just fished for wild Brookies in Shenandoah National Park last month and had a blast...Streams were not very big, but the trout were plentiful and eager. They seemed like they were everywhere, even in places you wouldn't think. There are a ton of trout waters in the Park.

If you think about going there, Murray's Fly Shop (MURRAY'S FLY FISHING SHOP, MURRAYS FLY SHOP, FLY FISHING EQUIPMENT, FISHING GUIDE SERVICES, FLY FISHING SCHOOLS, Fly Shop) is a great shop, as that is where I got all my flies for the trip from. Additionally, contact Steve Moore (switchfisher) about fishing in that area. He is on this forum and was a tremendous resource for me, which helped make my experience very very successful. He also just had a new book come out last month about fishing the Rapidan which begins in the Park.

If you want more info about my trip and the waters I fished, let me know.