The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 02:00 AM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice
Default Re: I thought I was going to stick with just one rod...

Buy a Tenkara Rod.... the flylines are less than $12... and you don't even need a reel. If your into back packing... your entire fishing kit, rod, lines, leaders, and 4 dozen flys in a box should weigh under 7 ounces....
and fits into a shirt pocket.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I sold my only 3wt...felt like a toy rod to me
I do however have four 4wts

If I was to start from scratch, I'd do even numbers 4-6-8-10
Old 11-05-2010, 09:30 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

4wt and 5wt rods: I have the same model rod (make not important) in both for and 5 wt, 8 1/2'. Those two rods aren't night and day, but they are quite different. There are situations where I wouldn't use the 5wt, mostly delicate dry presentations. I also have the same rod in 7 1/2' 4wt, and that's entirely different than the 8 1/2' 4wt version. My wife used to love the 5wt version of this rod, but now loves the 8 1/2' 4wt (just my luck). I'd try them all out just to be sure.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM

coasty is on a distinguished road

You shouldnt be ashamed or worried that you cant manage with the one rod... I fished for about 10 years with just one rod it was an ABU farflyte fiberglass that had all the sensitivity and feel of a stick of rhubarb. These days I have a few more and still worry, For example there is a gap between the 6 ft 7ft and 8ft 3 wts and the 8ft and 9ft 4 wt will this jump up be a bit sudden and I may have to get a 7ft 6inch 4 wt to san the gap....

After all you cant have to many rods....
Old 11-08-2010, 03:28 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Yeah right! Those were my sentiments too when I took it up in 1993. I had tried it in '78 but I was on welfare working for uncle sam as a GI and anything over $75 was too much money. This is a good time to be a fisherman with so many options from so many manufacturers and so many end of season deals. So I've lost count but have probably around 7 or 8 rods but have owned close to 12. You'll find your tastes growing, changing or reverting so keep an open mind. There are so many great values on rods that have technology of $500 rods for under $200 and reels of the same nature. What's nice is that having a bigger quiver, you have to option of fishing in more places. Don't limit yourself unless you're in the poorhouse.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:46 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfisher99 View Post
When I started fly fishing I thought I was just going to stick with one rod forever to save money.

-Kevin
A quick drink sounds good, but I'm just going to have one.

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Wright View Post
Buy a Tenkara Rod.... the flylines are less than $12... and you don't even need a reel. If your into back packing... your entire fishing kit, rod, lines, leaders, and 4 dozen flys in a box should weigh under 7 ounces....
and fits into a shirt pocket.
Great idea!!!

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 AM

eldermike is on a distinguished road

As your rod collection grows Don't forget to put some lables on your reels so you can remember which one has the line you are looking for. It's a bummer to pick up a 3 weight rod and a 5 weight line and head out to the stream. (wish I had done that instead of what I did) And when you get 5 of the same brand reels and settle on a line color it's going to happen to you. My story came from a recent day on a pond trying to cast some bass poppers with a 5 weight rod, but the 3 weight line made me look like I never flyfished a day in my life.