The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default I thought I was going to stick with just one rod...

When I started fly fishing I thought I was just going to stick with one rod forever to save money. I am up to three now, lol, a sage flight 9 ft 8 wt, echo carbon 9 ft 5 wt, and redington rs4 10 ft 6 wt. Damn this addiction to this sport, it's getting costly. Especially with the guide trips I've done, those have been $200-500 per trip. So anyways, what rod should I get next? Any suggestions? I'm thinking a short 7'0-7'6 3-4 wt(an Orvis Clearwater II more specifically). I fish every kind of waters you can think of, my family is spread out across the entire state of caliornia I'm always traveling around it fishing everywhere I can, and fishing states like oregon and montana occasionally and south eastern canada.

-Kevin

Last edited by kfisher99; 11-03-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I thought I was going to stick with just one rod...

A 4 weight is too close to a 5 weight. Get a 7'0" to 8'0" 3 weight. It will cover most Sierra streams.

I wrote a review on a 7'6" 3 weight Redington Classic Trout rod last month. It's one of those rods that will surprise you.

MP
Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

30 rods ago I thought the same thing.
I have to disagree with MP on the 4w is too close to a 5w, but you have an 8w, 6w, and 5w, so I agree with him on getting a good 3w. The 4w's (and I me plural) can wait until you dispense with the guide trips.
Think what rod's you can get with $200- $500 you're spending on a guide trip.
Get a good fiberglass 3w that will fish the small streams perfectly. (Steffan Brothers, McFarland, Fred Paddock, Kabuto, L. Kenney)
Old 11-03-2010, 08:07 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
A 4 weight is too close to a 5 weight. Get a 7'0" to 8'0" 3 weight. It will cover most Sierra streams.

I wrote a review on a 7'6" 3 weight Redington Classic Trout rod last month. It's one of those rods that will surprise you.

MP
I second the Redington CT especially in the 3wt. I also agree with MP and Mojo that a 3 wt should be your next step. Youll have a blast with it. Plus the 3wt won't break the bank. Which is always a plus.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 11-03-2010, 11:58 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I knew it was hopeless to attempt such a thing, as well as completely against my nature, as soon as i started taking casting lessons.

I started by trying to find a decent beginner rod and found one in a Reddington Red.Fly2 6wt. As of right now i am constantly fighting urges to run out and buy a couple more rods. I must own a good 5wt and would like to pick up a decent 8wt for winter steelhead. After that i will probably get a 3 or 4 wt and then probably a better 6wt.

Every time i go into my favorite local fly shop i am constantly handling the various Sage 5wt. rods. I will probably end up with a Flight. If i am feeling flush i may hold out for a Z-Axis.

At some point i must own one of those personalized Orvis Helios rods.

I look at it the same way i do when guying computer accessories to feed my gaming habit. I forgotten how many different mice, headsets, keyboards, etc i have upgraded over the years. No biggie though, it is an enjoyable hobby and if you get good use out of it, even if it is replaced or you pick up something similar a few years later, it is money well spent.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:42 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Have you begun tyig flies yet? The addicition only worsens then.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:06 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Clearly the logic says a 3wt is the correct decision.

It's a good idea to get the rods you're interested in into your hands and maybe find a way to fish one, before you buy. I have 8 rods and 5 of them are exactly what I wanted. Those 5 I got to fish before buying and I knew exactly what I was getting.

If you happen to enjoy any specialty kinds of fishing, you might want a special rod. I found a used 6'6" 2wt and really enjoy it on the brushy, smaller creeks of the E Sierra. Just a thought...

-Mike
Old 11-04-2010, 06:19 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
Have you begun tyig flies yet? The addicition only worsens then.
Isn't that the truth!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:29 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

I have a 4wt for fishing the spring creeks here in Iowa and a 6wt for bass. I now want another 4wt and another 6wt as "upgrades" along with new reels. Plus new fly boxes, expand my fly selection, new net.........
Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I was in a similar situation, where I had an 8wt and a 5wt. I dropped all the way down to a 7'6" 2wt Cabela's LST on clearance for the smaller streams and it's a blast.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog