The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 12:47 PM

flyover76 will become famous soon enoughflyover76 will become famous soon enough
Default Moving to CA

I am planning to move to southern california (huntington beach area) in about 1 1/2 months and was wondering if any of the people here live in southern california and would be willing to give me some info on some places to catch some trout within about 4 hours or less from huntington beach. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to CA

Fly over...
Trout fishing within 4 hours of Huntington Beach may not be similar to what you are used to.
Having said that, there are many different types of opportunities for trout.
What type of water do you like to fish? stream? lake?
Do you want to hike for more naturalized fish or are you looking for stocked trout that are easy to access?
With a little information, I think we can find you some good water to fish.

Feel free to IM me directly about this also.

By the way, Huntington Beach has some fabulous opportunities for saltwater flyfishing within 10 minutes of your house. Also, there are lots of lakes within the 4 hour area that have Large mouth bass, panfish, carp etc that can offer very nice fishing when the trout are less accessible.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:19 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

Here is another bit of information.
This link..http://www.ffcoc.org/
will take you to the fly fishing club of orange county web page.
They have been around a long time and, a quick glance at their calendar and meeting schedules indicates that they have a lot of very nice meetings, seminars and trips to local waters including some really fine trout rivers in the 3 to 4 hour driving distance.
I would stongly suggest looking them up when you get to HB. They will have the best local information to be found.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:50 AM

flyover76 will become famous soon enoughflyover76 will become famous soon enough

Well I like fishing streams. The type of trout does not matter I enjoy hiking in to get to a secluded spot but also love taking the stockers sometimes. Thanks for the info you have given me so far.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:22 AM

There is not a lot of secluded fishing within 4 hours of HB since it is so close to the huge LA metropolis.
Two spots come to mind though, both relatively secluded.
Bear Creek near Redlands. Fly fishing only. Small fish but not many other folks there.
Piru creek either near Gorman. Tough hiking. Watch for rattle snakes. Water levels are variable in the winter spring months but it is too hot in the summer.

Post some more when you get to HB.