The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default First Fly Trip

It was a long day, but worth it(even though i got skunked!)

Three of my friends and I went twenty minutes to a local pond that we thought was stocked... we showed up and an old man was cursin, my friend went over and talked to him while the rest of us got our gear ready, by the time we were ready to go, our friend came back and told us it wasn't stocked... we all wanted to fish, so my friend said "lets get our waders and go to the guadalupe river!"
so everyone agrees, so i take a kid, and the other driver takes a kid, and we split up so we could all get our waders... after thirty minutes of waiting at our meeting spot we get a call back from them finally saying they cannot go...
so we go on without them, and its a good forty minute drive to a place that lets you on the river that is cheap, and not crowded.
at one point there are so many fishers we decided to just stay up stream, after my fourth or so cast, my casting still isn't looking that good, and my line went straight up and went a slammin distance of four yards all bunched up... so i decided to let the current take it and work it back slowly, two seconds later my line takes off! i set the hook or whatever its called in the fly world my friend its a good sized one keep tension reel in the line and just keep reeling, so when i get the line the fish is still... i continue to try reeling and just can't so my friend said pull it in... my first tug the thing spat out my fly

so we fished there a while no bites, we go up river a mile fishing as we walk... on our way back i was walking in water to below my pecs and looking for rocks as i walked... i saw a rock but i didn't step high enough and i slipped down and got drenched inside my waders! it was so cold! and i got lucky my phone didn't get soaked and my can didn't break open... can't copenhagen use plastic?

so that was very uneventful! but once we go back to where we started all the other fishermen were gone, so we walk to where they were and look in... the area was filled with bout 30 or so trout! we threw everything we had at em, nothing bit! disappointed we took off, when we were walkin back the owner asked us if we had any luck... we told him what happened... he responded "same with everyone else, guess its just that they gotta get used to the environment, and maybe because they just came last morning from the hatchery that they're still stuffed..."

and that is my tedious explanation of my first trip... i had a ton of fun, and i feel as if my skills improved throughout the day!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: First Fly Trip

Welcome to fly fishing! That doesn't sound uneventful at all! I hope you grow to love the sport as much as I and others here on this board do!

Keep us informed on the things you learn as you grow and make sure to ask lots of questions here on the boards. There are a lot of very nice people with a lot of information that they are very willing to share.

Good luck and tight lines!

Oh....two books I recommend to every beginner. Both by Dave Hughes:

Handbook of Hatches (Bugs and Flies)
Trout Rigs and Methods (Gear and how to present the fly in different situations)

These were and still are invaluable references for me. (I've only been fly fishing 2 years or so)
Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 PM

thanks for the help!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

MikeyBob-

Hey thanks for posting your excellent adventure. Sounds like that Heddon rod got a work out. Glad you had fun. It sounds like you are doing great. And you had a good one on there for a while, so congrats.

Here is some homework:

Fly Fishing Books, Rosenbauer: "Reading Trout Streams" - MidCurrent

Fly Fishing, Fly Presentation, Mending - MidCurrent

Keep at it, and let us know how you're doing.

peregrines
Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
MikeyBob-

Hey thanks for posting your excellent adventure. Sounds like that Heddon rod got a work out. Glad you had fun. It sounds like you are doing great. And you had a good one on there for a while, so congrats.

Here is some homework:

Fly Fishing Books, Rosenbauer: "Reading Trout Streams" - MidCurrent

Fly Fishing, Fly Presentation, Mending - MidCurrent

Keep at it, and let us know how you're doing.

peregrines
ah, perfect! i asked my friend if there is anything special i should be looking for, and he was clueless thank ya very much!