The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default shad

for many years now, i have heard about the shad run on the delaware river in eastern pa. so, i think i may bite a drive forever to get there. when is the best time for this
Old 11-05-2010, 07:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shad

Here in CT the time to fish for shad is when the shadbush comes into bloom. Sometime around mid April

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:58 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

On the delaware any time from mid may to the end of may. all depends upon the weather and water conditions. I have caught bucks in mid march and in mid june before. Have to put in the time to hook up. It's not like going to your local pond for sunfish. they could be in one spot one day and not there the next.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-06-2010, 07:12 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks! Time to do some research
Old 11-06-2010, 08:32 AM

timboothe is on a distinguished road

I stumbled upon Shad by accident this past season. Got a buddy of mine that used to guide the Big D and he would rave about the Shad. I spend most of my time chasing Browns on the WB but decided to get to know the Main Stem this past season. I was a little late and started hitting the Main Stem around the beginning of June til around the middle of June.

I caught more Shad than I could shake a stick at. I caught a few on something akin to a "Shad Dart" but had the most success using black nymphs #14-#10.

To me these things were dumber than a box of rocks. They'd swim right up on you, right between your legs. They school up and mosey up and down a pool. I noticed that the first few times I saw them, they tended to hang under the surface quite a bit. Later on towards the middle of June they were right up near the surface, fins out of the water, very easy to see and fish to. I'd wait until I saw several heading towards me, cast out in front and start striping in once they got near.

One thing though: they are plankton eaters and have a very, very soft mouth. If you don't get them through the nose, you won't have one on for long.

TimBoothe
Old 11-06-2010, 04:42 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHH yes. My kind of fish. Dumber than rocks. HMMMM...wonder if i can tie up a rock dart?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on where you are on the river the shad run can start anywhere from early April and end as late as June 30th. Go on the Morning Call Newspapers web they list the number of a Shad hotline beginning in March. The Hotline will give you a good idea where concentrations of fish are daily.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Having lived so close to the Delaware I am somewhat ashamed to say I've never fished for them either, I don't know why other than to say I like trout fishing and that's what I target.
I think I'll have to give it a shot this spring also. I"ll just guess that the flies for shad are tied with a lot of marrabu, Ill have to do a little search and ty some up.