The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 05:34 PM

misterdrcoolwhip is on a distinguished road
Default hi im new to fly fishing

hello i just bought a a fly rod and reel and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what line or line code i should get im sill trying to figure out the code. any way i would like to start fishing bluegills and other small panfish and then maybe the occasional trout fishing. my rod is a 9' gallatin onyx oxf-9025 weight 5 and my reel is a martin tackle caddis creek cc65 line weight 4-6 i was also trying to figure out what is backing and do i need it and waht else to you recomened i use for this kind of set up any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:48 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Re: hi im new to fly fishing

You want to match the line with the rod. So since it is a 5 weight rod youre going to want to get a 5 weight line for it. I would recommend a weight forward taper....its easier to cast. Since your only looking to fish for panfish you wont need much in the way of special equipment just the basics. Grab yourself some small poppers and go at it!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:52 PM

ooh ok thanks a whole lot that makes a whole lot of sense i will just go do that then thank you.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:40 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

The above recommendation would look like this: WF-5-F

WF - is WeightForward, You will also commonly see DT, and L. DT is Double taper, L is level.
5 - is the weight of the line, this number gets matched to the rod.
F - means the line floats. Any other letter will mean it will Sink below the surface.

Backing is used to fill up the reel, it also allows more line to be let out though the drag, in-case you catch something really large. I have never seen the backing on my reel while fishing yet.

You will also need some leaders, but I'm sure someone else can recommend the correct sizing better than I. The leader will be the line that is placed between your flyline, and fly. I use a 9ft 4X leader on my 5wt quite a bit.

Last edited by charged; 11-05-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:57 PM

Rifleman1776 is on a distinguished road

I'm a beginning beginner also. Have learned each line to line connection requires it's own special knot. Do make sure you have them right. I got help from an experienced fly fisher.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 PM

thank you for all the great help and advice this is all making alot more sense now thankyou
Old 11-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi coo[,

Keep asking questions and they will keep answering them.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Cool, welcome aboard-- Let us know where you are-- we have members all over the place that might be able to point you to some good local resources like fly shops, fly fishing clubs etc.

You've got great advice-- a weight forward, 5 weight floating fly line would be a good choice for your outfit-- one of the sponsors, Allen Fly Fishing sells decent fly line for $14.50

Here's a link--- ( I'd probably go for the WFF Green in a 5 weight)
Allen & Co., Fly Line

You'll also want some backing, some leaders and a spool or two of tippet material. If you have a local fly shop they can help set you up. But here's some links so you know what to look for.

For your reel, I would add 50 yards of 20lb dacron or micron backing (from names like Cortland, Scientific Anglers etc) like this:

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955

For a leader, I would recommend a 9 foot tapered, knotless monofilament leader tapered to 4X (from Rio, Umpqua, Frog Hair, Scientific Anglers, Climax etc) like this:
Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955

and a couple spools of monofilament tippet in 4X and 5X (try and get the same brand as whatever brand of leader you buy) like this:

The backing gets attached to the fly reel and though you probably won't run into too many fish that will take you past the fly line, it'll be there if needed if you hook a monster--- and more importantly, it will help to increase the diameter of the spool for your fly line--- without it the fly line will be wrapped around the spool in tight coils.

the backing gets attached to the rear end of the fly line--- on a new "weight forward " taper fly line the fly line coming off the plastic cassette first is the rear of the fly line, and should be attached to the backing. When you wind on the fly line the front should be noticeably thicker on a weight forward tapered line.

The tapered knotless monofilament leader gets attached to the front of the fly line and helps to tranfer energy on the cast--- the taper will help the fly lay out on the cast instead of collapsing in a heap on mono at the end of your fly line.

About 2' of the level mono tippet material gets tied to the thin front end of the leader. This prevents you from chopping up your tapered leader when you change flies.

This stuff about leaders and tippets is pretty confusing i know, bit there's some good stuff in the FAQ section that helps to explain them a bit.

You'll also need to learn some knots
backing to fly reel = Arbor Knot
backing to fly line = Albright knot
leader to fly line = Nail Knot or Albright knot
tippet to leader = Double Surgeons
tippet to fly = Improved Clinch

You can find them all here: Fishing Knots | How to Tie Fishing Knots | Animated Fishing Knots

As Ard said, keep asking questions--- you'll have a ton of them, but I'm sure you'll get a lot of help from the folks here.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:05 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

My advise would be to try and find a local fly shop and have them help. They will be able to help get you set up with the backing and help pick a fly line, and then they (should) set everything up for you on your reel. Nothing worse than trying to tie a knot you have no idea how to tie.

A rule of thumb for your leaders/tippet: take the size of the fly and divide it by 3 an you will have the size you will need. So if your using a size 12 fly, you divide by 3 and find that you will need a size 4x leader/tippet.

The great thing about pan fish is that they hit pretty much just about anything. Someone else mentioned poppers, I would also get some woolly buggers, some elk hair caddis, parachute adams, and some gold ribbed hare's ears. These are generic imitations, not really imitating a specific bug, and should get you set up for fishing for gills and trout as well.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and let us know how everything turns out!
Anthony
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog