The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 01:33 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default What knot?

This is a real beginner situation I know. Last night I bought a Sin Angler fly line. It's perfectly straight on both ends. What knot do I want to use at the leader end of the fly line? OR, is there a good product to buy to attach to the end? Then last, what kind of leader knot to attach to the fly line?
The last Cortland line that I bought came with a short (3-6 inch) loop to attach with shrink wrap after running the fly line into it. I bought tapered leaders with a loop to use with this line.
Thank you everyone.

Jimmie
Old 12-12-2008, 02:13 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What knot?

I use a knot like this. I have heard it call by different names but here is the tying instructions.

Fishing Knots and Fly Fishing knots - Learn to Tie a Nail Knot - Illustrated Tying Instructions

John
Old 12-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie-

You might want to check the fly line by pulling more line off the front end-- there might be a thin end right at the front, but 10' feet in it might be thicker--- you may have a weight forward or double taper line ( either WF or DT should be on the packaging if you kept it), which will be a tad easier to cast than a level line with no taper.

For the fly end of the leader, (not the end of the leader that goes to the fly line) you might want to get in the habit of adding 18- 30” of tippet. You can cut back on the tippet, without cheating up on your leader as you change flies. That way you won’t have a shorter thicker leader each time you change flies. If you need more tippet after changing a few flies, just add more tippet. Tippet comes in spools for 2-3 bucks, and I usually carry a bunch of different ones for different sized flies. For trout spools of 3-6x should cover most situations from streamers to smaller dries.

Here are 2 good sites for different knots, handy for a lot of different things in FF:
Grog's Fishing Knots Index
Orvis_Knots

Here are some common situations and some good knots to use for future reference. The one you're looking for now is "fly line to leader":

Backing to fly reel- Arbor Knot from animated knots link

Fly line to backing- Albright Knot or loop to loop connection if you change fly lines a lot (For a loop to loop connection, tie a short piece of backing to fly line with an Albright knot, then tie a 6 “ loop using a Surgeons Loop in the end of the backing you’ve attached to the fly line, and to the end of backing attached to the fly reel. This allows you to change fly lines easily on the reel if you don’t have extra spools.)

Fly Line to Leader Butt- Albright or Nail Knot—I use the Albright, it’s easy once you learn, and a very reliable knot, but jayclamp is right about the Nail knot, it's a good one too. If you want to use a loop to loop connection, you can Albright or Nail Knot a short section of leader butt material (or heavy fishing line 20 or 30 lb test) to the end. Tie a loop in the end like a Non Slip Mono, and attach looped leaders with a loop to loop connection. I generally avoid loop to loop connections—they pick up **** in the water, and are more likely to “hinge” when casting. I’m not a fan of shrink type attachments, though others use them with no problems.

Leader to tippet- Blood Knot or Double Surgeons, easier to tie than the Blood knot. I use the Orvis Tippet Knot (from the Orvis site) in FW which is pretty simple and strong.

Tippet to fly: Improved clinch is probably the most common all around knot used but there are better, stronger ones. Here are a few good ones IMHO:

Flies on light tippets (3x or lighter) – Orvis Knot (orvis site)

Bigger flies on stronger tippet- Trilene Knot (animated knot site)

Streamers to tippet with a loop, instead of snugged tight to eye for more action in the water: Non Slip Mono Knot (Orvis site)

Hope this helps.

peregines
Old 12-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The not that John posted is the most common. It requires a heavy (like 20 or 30 lb mono) in about a 6" to 8" piece. Several even use Amnesia for this. This will be your BUTT section. Use the know jclampworks88 posted to attach it to the fly line.. There is also a NEEDLE KNOT. That one you use a sewing machine need (one with the hole at the point). Push the need down the center/core of the line about 1/4" to 1/2" and then out the side pf the line. Threaded the leader and pull it back. Pull leader through till about 4" from end.
Now you can use the clinch knot, or scuff the end up, add some ZAP-A-GAP (water proof super glue, not all super glue is waterproof). The continue to pull the leader till it stops (slowly). Clip end flush, and seal hole with a small dab of Zap.

Finale way, and this is what I use. Cut the end of you line at an angle. Now fold it over creating a small loop. Now cover with thread, and coat. I coat it with Pliobond or LOONS KNOT SENSE.

Here is what it looks like:

Click the image to open in full size.

As far as a loop in the end of the LEADER....PERFECTION LOOP. It lays nice and straight unlike a Surgeon's loop which will kick to one side.

Check this out:

Perfection Loop - Google Video
Old 12-12-2008, 09:04 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thank you everyone.
That's exactly what information I needed to get this done. The links with knots is valueable stuff. I think that I have most of the products already except thread. I take it that's fly tying thread Joni?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jimmie,

Here is a trick that makes tying the Nail Knot easier. Use a short piece of plastic tubing instead of a nail or needle. You tie the not the same but when you feed the line back through the knot, you just slide it into the tube. Then withdraw the tube and tighten the knot. The tube allows you to wind the line tighter on the outside. A tube like that used on a WD-40 Can is just right but you need to shorten it.

Also in the FAQ is a question that provides links to all of the needed knots used in fly fishing.

Frank
Old 12-13-2008, 09:02 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Frank and Joni can probably correct me or know better than I. But I have become a fan of the "Speed Nail Not" or "Nailess nail not" It is a heck of a lot easier than using the nail which in my case happens to fall often (Corrdination strikes me every 10 minutes and when it does I am baffled)

I feel this not is as strong and basically does the same thing and for me it is easier by 10 to 15 minutes of coordination.

There is two video's on Google video demonstrating how to tie it. Here is one of them
How to tie*a surgeon's knot when fly fishing | Wonder How To

My two bits but I yield to the more experienced Fishers than I. I trust their views far better than I.

Critter
Old 12-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Thank you everyone.
That's exactly what information I needed to get this done. The links with knots is valueable stuff. I think that I have most of the products already except thread. I take it that's fly tying thread Joni?
It is fly tying thread, but, I was thinking, it doesn't HAVE to be. It's just that tying thread you can get in smaller diameter. I use 6/0 for this, but again, that is just my choice
Old 12-14-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Jimmie,

Here is a trick that makes tying the Nail Knot easier. Use a short piece of plastic tubing instead of a nail or needle. You tie the not the same but when you feed the line back through the knot, you just slide it into the tube. Then withdraw the tube and tighten the knot. The tube allows you to wind the line tighter on the outside. A tube like that used on a WD-40 Can is just right but you need to shorten it.

Also in the FAQ is a question that provides links to all of the needed knots used in fly fishing.

Frank
Thanks again everybody.

Frank: that tube worked great. I was just about to snip off a piece of WD40 tube when I thought canned air so I got a 3" piece from there. It made the nail knot fairly quick and painless. It could be easy with a little practice. I used that backing to fly line.
Crittergetter: that knot link is awesome, thanks. I put it in favorites with the others.
Joni: I'm heading to Sportsman Warehouse (open on Sunday) to get some 6/0 fly tying thread. I'm going to try the loop. Anything I need to know? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:41 PM

It is easier with a fly tying Bobbin also.

Click the image to open in full size.