The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 09:07 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default ? for ya'all

I am a pretty decent caster, but knowing how to and teaching some is two diffrent things. I know a guy down here that guides and know hin well enough that my wife and I are comfertable around him.
my wife just got into flyfishing since she meet me a couple years ago and loves it. I have taught her how to cast as well as I can teach and she is doing ok, but could use some improvment, she does worry about impresing me, that leads me to my ? . I am thinking about hireing my friend to spend a couple hours with her on teh river and teaching her a little better then I could. I am thinking about going, I belive its the same price for 1-2 people, but I am kinda thinking if I am not there she may relaxe and learn a little more not haveing to worry bout me watching. What do ya'all think?
keep your dries dry and your nymphs close to the bottom
Bear
Old 12-13-2008, 09:29 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ? for ya'all

I think she would probably get more out of the lesson if it was just she and the guide. My wife of 34 years would want me as far away as possible
Old 12-13-2008, 10:29 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I think you should ask her what she wants.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:02 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Good info to think about from both of ya
Thanks
Bear
Old 12-13-2008, 11:54 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Take two lessons from A FFF certified instructor. Or better yet have a get-away for 4 day's to one of those schools.

You both will have individual issues that need individual instruction. My wife and I actually are lucky to have two FFF instructors localy that work together. We have taken a class from them and both had our unique issues worked on independently.

Those are my two bits..

And congrats. Fly fishing is a life long journey of experiences what better to spend than with your wife.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:22 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I think both guys gave great answers. only thing I can add is you are glad you made it this far! my gf won't even try to fish let alone flyfish even tho I want her too try so bad....

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:27 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
she does worry about impresing me,
I am normally really big on communication b/w spouses, but....just a thought......since she worries about impressing you, if you ask her what she wants, would she also be concerned about hurting your feelings if she says she doesn't want you to watch the lesson?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:37 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
I am normally really big on communication b/w spouses, but....just a thought......since she worries about impressing you, if you ask her what she wants, would she also be concerned about hurting your feelings if she says she doesn't want you to watch the lesson?
Then again, she might be less intimidated by the instructor if her husband was there.

At least if she makes the decision, she won't blame her husband if it doesn't work out.

If it was me in that situation. I'd leave it up to her.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:37 PM

Wow lots of good thoughts to think about.
If I went it wouldnt be for the instruction, I have been doing this 20 some years maybe even just over 30, anyway my bad habits are pretty much set lol, I would just be close by fishin. We both the this guide pretty well so i think she would be comfertable, and I dont think she would think not wanting me along would hurt my feelings, but if I as her I will tell her not to even worry about that.
thanks alot for the thoughts
Bear
Old 12-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, for me (but I have been fishing a long time) it doesn't matter if my hubby is there or not.
But we both got into the Gym thing. In that case I preferred to go by myself. Plus it gave me allot more to talk about when I got home.

I would say to ask her because maybe she would feel more comfortable with you there or at least the first visit. But she might also like to go by herself, learn something and then have something only SHE learned to talk about.

Just a woman's side.