The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: What is the Best Blank Material for Small Stream Trout Fishing?
Graphite 6 33.33%
Fiberglass 9 50.00%
Bamboo 3 16.67%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 02:38 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is the Best Blank Material for a Small Stream Trout Rod?

What do you think is the best blank material for small stream trout fishing?

Let's say that it's steep gradient, wooded, tight quarters; with 7'6" being the maximum practical rod length and that we're talking, primarily pocket water with an occasional riffle and a very occasional run or decent sized pool. Usual casting distances of 40 ft. or less. Fish on average in the size range of 8-14 inches. Let's also say that the vast majority of the fishing will be done with dry flies.

So, here are the choices as I see them at this point:

a. Graphite

b. Fiberglass

c. Bamboo

d. Other

I'm being tempted to try a bamboo rod for this type of fishing; which is the type of fishing that I do most of the time, and I'd like to get the input of this forum before I take that step.

Thanks,

Pocono
Old 12-14-2008, 09:27 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: What is the Best Blank Material for a Small Stream Trout Rod?

A resounding, "YES!!!" I would fish ALL those rods, in your "provisional conditions" and have a heck of a good time! The only BEST I can see is what you have in your hand at that particular time! Go! Enjoy!!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:35 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I've owned all three, and they all work well. It's a personal thing.

Personally, I like bamboo, but it doesn't mean it fishes better. It's the only one of the three that was once alive and that is appealing. It also has the loving care of the maker to build it.

Glass has a nice soft action for small streams, and graphite can too in the right action. They don't seem to have the soul of bamboo though.

My opinion only.

For bigger waters I like graphite, but small streams are special.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 AM

Looks like my plan is working.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a fiberglass fan for small streams.
Not only for the slow casting action, but also for the toughness factor
Fiberglass rods are nearly unbreakable and many are quite inexpensive
I have four glass rods 7' or less

My favorite is a early 60's vintage 6'6" Wright & McGill Featherweight
It's rated for a 5wt line but actually fishes best with a DT4
This rod will load with only 2' of line out.

The newest one is it's modern 'equivalent'.
A 7' Eagle Claw Feather Weight that I like with a DT6
I recently picked it up at W*lmart at a close-out price of $9
You might think at a price like that these rods would be dogs, but it casts surprisingly well.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Pocono,

I think what is important is the action of the rod not what it was made from. Small streams are ideal for slow action rods so you can make short cast with ease. So I would choose a slow or medium action rod. I say that but in fact I don't like slow action rods. I use my Heddon Bamboo rod for many years and I just don't want to go back to that action.

So if I wanted a small stream rod I would consider the St Croix Avid or Scott G2 or the TFO Finesse rods. Oops, I forgot about Winston. They have got to have some sweet small stream rods.

Frank
Old 12-14-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Pocono,

I think what is important is the action of the rod not what it was made from. Small streams are ideal for slow action rods so you can make short cast with ease. So I would choose a slow or medium action rod. I say that but in fact I don't like slow action rods. I use my Heddon Bamboo rod for many years and I just don't want to go back to that action.

So if I wanted a small stream rod I would consider the St Croix Avid or Scott G2 or the TFO Finesse rods. Oops, I forgot about Winston. They have got to have some sweet small stream rods.

Frank
Heddons are on the slow side Frank. As i'm sure you know. There are some nice crisp faster action cane rods that are heaven on small streams. The Payne 101 taper comes to mind. I have a clone of that rod and it throws nice tight loops.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Poc....you know I am going to root for Glass. Steffen for "S" fast...er or McFarland or Lami for "E" slower.

The surrounding sound a little brutal, I would chance my glass more than a boo, specially because of the price difference.
However, the Highland Mills bamboo is a sweet little stick and a price less than allot of Graphite these days.
Cabela's -- Highland Mills Bamboo Fly Rods

I had the 7' three piece 4 weight and it was a perfect stream rod.

I am having a 5 weight built and I test run the 101. Tough choice but I went with the 98.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:16 PM

If you want to know where to get a Highland Mills cane rod for $150. Let me know. Any model. Brand new.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! one heck of a source there Old Man....right on. The one I had was very nice. Light weight and enough back bone to cast nymphs.
Thanks for stepping up with a deal like that.