The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 09:06 PM

spassky72 is on a distinguished road
Default Tapered leader question

I am just getting back into fly fishing and need a little help,On a tapered leader how much tippet should i use if any,last time i fly fished I didnt use a tapered leader.And if I need to tie on a tippet what is the best knot to use.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tapered leader question

I would say "YES" tie on tippet. a foot or more. Reason, it saves on the leader. When you get to the knot, it is time to add more tippet. You are only using up a an inch or so of the leader, where as if you don't, the more you change flies the more leader you loose and soon, you have lost that taper.

I attach tippet to leader using a double surgeon. Easy to tie even with cold hands ;-)

The Double Surgeon's Knot (Join)
Old 12-14-2008, 08:40 AM

PotomacBassBug is on a distinguished road

Here's another approach.

Your tapered leader already has a tippet ... it's the last 18-24" of the leader (depending on leader length). Start out with your fly tied directly onto the tapered leader. After a half-dozen or so fly changes the actual tippet portion will be used up.

Now tie a perfection loop in the end of the tapered leader and cut a bunch of approx 18" sections of tippet material. Tie a perfection loop in one end of each of these and keep them in a leader wallet. Attach the new tippet to the tapered leader by passing the tippet loop over the leader loop, then threading the tippet through the leader loop (don't pass the end of the tippet through the tippet loop because that willl create a knot that tends to hinge rather than straighten out on a cast). When the new tippet gets too short, repeat. you can also use this method to switch tippet size and length if that's an issue.

Instructions for tying perfection loop: http://www.animatedknots.com/perfect...matedknots.com
Old 12-14-2008, 09:18 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

PBB, do you find the loops cause any added drag on a drift? Also, how about casting small flies with light (6X or 7X) tippet. Do you notice any differences with loops as opposed to knots? May I assume you tie the loops as small as possible? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
PBB, do you find the loops cause any added drag on a drift? Also, how about casting small flies with light (6X or 7X) tippet. Do you notice any differences with loops as opposed to knots? May I assume you tie the loops as small as possible? Thanks.
I should say that my current fly fishing is almost exclusively with fairly heavy tackle (7 weight and above) throwing wind-resistant flies on 2X, 1X, 0X and heavier tippets. However, back in the 80s I fished light tippets and lines for brook trout in the Shenandoah National Park, sometimes with 6X and 7X tippets, and used this system without noticing undue drag on the drift or cast.

Whether fishing light or heavy tackle, I try to make the loops as small as practical with whatever weight tippet I'm using. I then give a good pull on both ends to straighten out the connection as much as possible (obviously with 7X you're not going to pull too hard!).

I think the perfection loop is about the easiest knot to tie once you get the hang of it.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

PotomacBassBug, I love that idea. But, here the fish are very spookie, plus clear water. I think the one small knot works for my fishing. That and the fluoro.
I have also said it before and will say it again...CONFIDENCE. If you have that, anything can work.
That is a great idea for swapping flies out fast.

Any Hinging?
Old 12-14-2008, 02:07 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use a loop2loop connection all the time
No hinging
I like it 'cuz it's so easy to change tippets
There's no hesitation when your tippet gets short because changing it only takes seconds.
When fishing for any kind of 'big game', I'll use the stronger surgeon's loop in the tippet section, but I can tie a perfection loop in the dark, so most often 'easy' is good enough
Old 12-14-2008, 03:37 PM

I use a Surgeon's loop on my flies, but I prefer a Perfection when involving the leader/line.
The Perfection hangs straight, where the Surgeon's kicks off to one side. Not a big deal in some cases.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
PotomacBassBug, I love that idea. But, here the fish are very spookie, plus clear water. I think the one small knot works for my fishing. That and the fluoro.
I have also said it before and will say it again...CONFIDENCE. If you have that, anything can work.
That is a great idea for swapping flies out fast.

Any Hinging?
Joni ... I don't find any hinging if the loops are connected properly. I sure can't argue with the CONFIDENCE factor. Everyone should use what they belive in, especially with spooky fish and clear water. I have had small fish nip blood knots in a hand-tied leader, so almost any knot is visible and one would have to say that the back-to-back loops are more visible than a single knot. For my current fishing (Smallmouth bass) I'm more concerned with not "lining" the fish with the fly line (or letting them see me).
Old 12-14-2008, 04:48 PM

spassky72 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help.