The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 09:37 AM

misterdrcoolwhip is on a distinguished road
Default Fly line color question

I was just noticing all of the different colors of fly line and i was wondering if there was any significance like in spin fishing red is supposed to to make the line less noticable does that not matter so much in flyfishing because the end of the line will be further away? or is it just prference or a way to keep your different lines organized?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly line color question

Very close to the same subject was addressed Wed. eve by Kirk Deeter on Fly Fishing Internet Radio. You can listen to him at this link (replay of program): Fly Fishing - Internet Radio .
He said the number one thing that spooks fish are shadows from above including fly line (false casts) so the color of the line doesn't matter. He also made reference to the fly being remote from the fly line by the leader/tippet.
According to him you are correct in the fish seeing the red spectrum poorly compared to the blue spectrum better.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:36 AM

thanks for the info i was wondering about the colors thanks
Old 11-06-2010, 11:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

We had a lengthy discussion about this subject last year. Suffice to say there was a difference of opinions
I happen to think that it makes a great deal of difference

I see from another post that you're a newbie and will be fishing for pan fish. I would think your major concern when choosing a line color would not so much be spooking fish, but picking a color that could aid you skill wise
In other words, a bright colored line that you'd be able to see clearly as you practice casting and can follow well on the water.
Yellow, chartreuse, red....
Old 11-06-2010, 01:06 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

While I don't think color of a floating line matters much to the fish, I have fished with others who do...and who go so far as marking the tip with a magic marker to give it a more natural look.

I DO think that the color matters to the angler, since we all see colors differently, particularly in differring light conditions. As most of us are generally struggling to mend and achieve a dead drift, being able to see and manage my line is paramount to me...especially in the last hour of daylight when I'm already squinting to see either my dry fly or my indicator.

Old eyes suck...

-Mike
Old 11-06-2010, 03:43 PM

thank you that makes sense i was looking either going to get some white line or blaze orange but now i think i will get the blaze orange stuff thank you.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me started. ...... Look back in the archives. There was a long thread or two on the subject. I even hit the subject in spey casting.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 AM

coasty is on a distinguished road

The only logical arguement that I ever read was by Hugh Falkus. He said that most animals colouration was defensive .Trout were spotted on top to aid camouflage from attacks from birds etc so therefore the cream underparts must be to aid camouflage from attacks from below. and therefore if cream was good enough for the trout it was good enough for him... So cream /tan it was...

But of course everyone has there own opinion...

Andy
Old 11-09-2010, 09:13 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Brian Clarke and John Goddard studied the effect of fly line color on trout and reported their findings in a chapter of their 1980 book The Trout and the Fly
Must reading for all serious fly fishermen

http://books.google.com/books?id=V8B...truths&f=false

Last edited by Rip Tide; 11-09-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 PM

montanaangler is on a distinguished road

In general you want to stick to brightly colored line. On most rivers line color does not matter to the trout but does make a difference to the angler. I guide Montana fishing trips and find that it is much easier for our clients to manage their line when they can see it on the water. If you can't see the line you don't know when to mend. The only time I recommend drab colored lines is when you are fishing gin clear water where the fish are ultra spooky. I use drab lines on our local Montana spring creeks and also used them when I was in New Zealand.