The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 12:05 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road
Default Travel Bag

Hi Everyone,

I was just curious to see what travel bags you guys like to use. I need a bag that will hold my chest/back pack, 24 inch net, around 8 fly boxes and all the other little things I keep in my pack.(tippet, etc..). I am going to be bringing it on the plane with me so it needs to be small enough to fit in the carry on compartment. Here are the bags I was looking at so far:

Fishpond

Yellowstone Wader/Duffle Bag

Cimarron Wader/Duffle Bag

Simms

Headwater Tackle Bag

Headwater Gear Bag

Orvis

Safe Passage Kit bag

I am leaning toward the Simms Headwater Gear bag because I have read good reviews about it and one person wrote they could fit there vest and net in the bag.

Thanks for the help

Bobby
Old 11-08-2010, 12:34 AM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Travel Bag

I like the duffle bags with the heavy duty full length zippers. Great for keeping your back pack in. My son travels to Indonisa to go surfing. He sticks all kinds of stuff in the surf board bags. Rod cases, lures, clothes, snacks, boggie boards, fins... The airlines don't count surfboards as bags.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:53 AM

m47kevin is on a distinguished road

The buses in US also have a tighter restriction and must adhere to a smaller girth of carry on!. If you are planning on traveling via Greyhound anytime and you will, if you are going anywhere remote without air, you'll have to consider this. I like the duffle bag also as airline carry on, at least get something with pliable sides.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:34 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I am a huge fan of Fishpond...I have 2 chest packs, the Dakota Carry on Case, and the Pawnee Gear/Boot bag. Out of the 4, the Pawnee bag gets used the least primarily because I don't like the way the top zips closed (the Yellowstone and Cimarron zip closed the same way). I didn't think of how it would work when I bought it because I needed something in a hurry for a trip I took a couple years ago and now I wish I would have done my research...
Long story short, its a good bag, but I think I may sell it and get a Simms.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 AM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Travel Bag

I have a simms travle bag . I bought it in 1998 and it hold waders , boots gravle guards in the bottom and a lot of cloths in the top. Big thing it's well built and still going strong.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:42 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I've spent a lot of time (& a few bucks) over the past several years looking for a carry-on bag with wheels that had a waterproof compartment large enough to hold boots and waders. I thought the Fishpond Saddlehorn might work, but it was way too large for carry-on. It is surprising how rare carry-on-sized roller bags with a sizable wet compartment are, but I finally found one from Patagonia - the Partagonia Freewheeler. After struggling with carry-on sized wader bags without roller wheels through what seemed like endless airport walks, there is no way I would again settle for a carry-on that didn't have wheels and a pull-out handle, and the separate waterproof compartment works great whether or not I have wet wading gear to transport - if not, it's another storage area for something else, like my rod tubes.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

I am a fan of duffle bags too. Outdoor Products makes good simple duffles.
I have a fairly large cordura bag that is just long enough to hold my 9ft 5pc rod, fleece jacket and vest, rolled up waders, fly vest, lots of fly boxes, water bottles, rain jacket, a draw string bag full of small stuff, socks, and I don't know what all. It has wrap around nylon carry straps and a detatchable shoulder strap. Mine is heavy cordura and dark green. I don't see these on the web site now but you can probably find them in a store. Check store finder on site. I like to keep it simple and cheap if possible. If I remember right I paid 30 or 35.00 for the bag. I like it alot! They come in different sizes and colors.

Duffle Bags

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 AM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

I usually travel by car and I have four bags: Simms wader bag (fairly lg.), duffel for gear (often his & hers), duffel for rods (again often his and hers...also I take more rods than I' used to because here in MN you can change plans quickly), and a duffle for clothes. All my rods and reels are in cases ready to go, but I still like them in duffel.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley