The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 12:15 PM

timboothe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Value priced waders and boots?

Depending upon the temperature of the water that you would fish the most, I know lots of folks that wet wade. They just wear shorts and a decent pair of felt bottomed boots. Again, depends upon the temp of the water, I fish tail waters mostly and there is no way that I could stand balls deep in water that runs 50's-60's most days of the summer.

I finally settled upon breathables from Orvis. Like others have said, you get what you pay for. I don't know that I agree with what others have said about the bootfoot waders. I don't think that they make them anymore, but Orvis used to have a wader that utilized a built in, lace up hiking style boot. These were awesome. Only problem was that the boot was a little soft in the toe area and I had several times wading where my foot would slide down a rock and jammed kind of hard against whatever decided to stop my slide, tough on the toes. I finally ended up ripping the boot on some submerged barbed wire.

Good luck,
Tim Boothe
Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'd go with the Emerger waders and boots from LL Bean- $100 and $69, respectively. Its a little more money but LLB's budget stuff is known for being a remarkable value.

Looking at the small heel on that Cabela's boot, it looks like there's just not much surface there, which means crappy grip and a better chance of a rolled ankle.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

If you are only going to have one pair of waders, then I have to agree that breathables are the way to go. If your local waters are warm enough to wet wade in the summer, but you need something for winter, it is hard to beat neoprene as long as you are not sweating in them.

I have both, beathable and Neo and I do stay a little warmer in the neoprenes. the only negative of the neoprenes in my opinion is there is not a lot of air space if you buy them to fit snug. I intend to pick up a set of neo chest waders this year (had just the pants type previously) and I intend to buy them one size too big to allow for layering under. I believe, though I have not proven this yet, that with layers and neos, you should be able to stay warmer in winter water (though dampness from sweating may be an issue if your trekking to your water).

Breathables do a better job of dissapating dampness if you are doing a lot of hiking. So this topic, like a lot of others is probably going to end up in a "it depends" gridlock at some point, cause what you need may truly 'depend" on how you fish, where you fish, and how much hiking you need to do to get there. You may also, if this economy is hitting you like it did me, have to "settle" for something less than you want to start (cheaper waders or boots) and save up for what you really want at a future date.

The important thing is get on the water, I love to winter fish, and have at times fished a couple hours, warmed up in the car for a bit, and hit the water again.

d
Old 11-08-2010, 03:01 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'd go with the Emerger waders and boots from LL Bean- $100 and $69, respectively. Its a little more money but LLB's budget stuff is known for being a remarkable value.

Looking at the small heel on that Cabela's boot, it looks like there's just not much surface there, which means crappy grip and a better chance of a rolled ankle.
LL Bean offers a 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee. How can you beat that? When my 4-yr-old Hodgman Wadelites to wear out, I'll buy a set of Bean waders. I'm using Simms Rivershed boots now, and had boots with a heel before. There's a night and day difference, with the flat bottomed Simms being much more comfortable and secure to stand and walk in. I was afraid a boot without a heel wouldn't grip securely walking downhill, but that hasn't been a problem in the two years I've owned them.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:43 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I also like the breathable waders. But I prefer the "boot" type simply because they are so easy to take off and no sand gets inside. This is especially great for saltwater surf fishing...... the boot foot is the only way to go!
A low cost quality wader is the Orvis Endura boot breathable.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 AM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

I got a pair of L.L. Beans Breathable Emerger Bootfoot. very convenient and comfortable. I can toss them in the trunk and just slip them on if the conditions require. Not sexy like sock foot and fancy boots, but unless you are really doing hard core all the time these are fine.

Breathable Emerger Bootfoot Waders: Breathable at L.L.Bean
Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

I purchased the LLBean Flyweight II Stocking foot waders. They seem to be okay. They're light and comfortable. Don't know how "breathable" they'll be, but for the price ($59), it was worth it. And if I find that they are not breathable enough, I can always return them.

Flyweight II Stocking-Foot Waders: Flyweight at L.L.Bean
Old 11-17-2010, 12:37 AM

kimkim3074 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
I purchased the LLBean Flyweight II Stocking foot waders. They seem to be okay. They're light and comfortable. Don't know how "breathable" they'll be, but for the price ($59), it was worth it. And if I find that they are not breathable enough, I can always return them.

Flyweight II Stocking-Foot Waders: Flyweight at L.L.Bean
LLBean Flyweight II Stocking? Nice choice for sure. By the way,What do u think about this Ciao Bella Boots and Shoes? Are they nice stuff for fishing?
Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

I have a pair of Hodgeman 4mm neoprene stocking foot waders that have served me well. I only use them in the middle of winter though. I sweat so much in them that sometimes I wonder if they have sprung a leak.
I also have a pair of Hodgeman Wadelite breathable stocking foot. They have also been very good. Both for less than 100.00 each. I went to Hodgeman's website and see they are having one smokin hot sale right now. I might have to take advantage of it myself.
You can check it out and see if there is anything for you there.

These Guidelites are a steal. 227.00 down to 76.00;
Guidelite Stockingfoot Wader | Hodgman Waders - Since 1838

Here is the sale page for more options;
Fishing Waders on Sale | Wading Boots on Sale | Hip Waders on Sale | Hodgman - Since 1838
Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I bought middle of the line Dan Bailey waders in 2001 that I fish with 10-15 times a year in CO, MT, WY, AR and they have proven to be tough and leak free with the exception of when I happened upon a briar patch and had to continue. The company took them, fixed the leaks and 3 years later I'm still using them without problems. For boots, I'd recommend the LL Bean offerings. Mine are middle of the line $80 with Aquathread/stealth studs that I've owned just as long. I hike with them often. Last year I was forced to hike 5 miles up from the Gunnison River when my older Salomon hiking boots delaminated a mile into the hike. I will surely get another pair. Good value when I look at how much use I've gotten out of them. A buddy likes the cheap Orvis wader offering as his philosophy is that when they leak Orvis just replaces them(not sure I agree with that) so he's taken advantage of that policy vs. a more robust design.